Bootie !!! & RAF pilots in FAA Sqauadrons

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by scouse, Feb 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Carrier air wings 39/45 Had a Commander as the most Senior Flying rank. The Booties had a Major/Capt as their senior flying rank. Whilst in contrast the RAF had a Group Captain as their most senior flying rank onboard. :salute:

2. And your point is?

Actually, that is a bit of a generalisation. AVM Basil Embry, AOC 2 Gp of Bomber Command, won a DFC in 1945 flying Mosquitoes during a number of long range low level ops. These included the famous attacks on the Amiens jail, as well as Gestapo HQs in Aarhaus and Odense, Denmark!!

This is after an earlier career during which he was awarded a DSO for ops over Waziristan in 1935, and a bar to his DSO during the Norwegian in 1940. His Blenheim was subsequently shot down over France in May 1940 and he was captured. Embry promptly killed his guard before escaping back to England!!!

:salute:

Regards,
    MM

3. Was referring to FAA Carrier borne RN/RM/RAF C/O sqdn Pilots!!! :roll: :roll:

4. So is this a statement that The RAF felt it neccesary to install a higher ranking occifer? Or merely a bit of education?

5. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Didn't the RM have a Lieutenant Colonel out in the pacific who was the big cheese?

6. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Is this a ref to Major R C Hay RM, Air Coordinator, HMS Victorious? See his report on the Palembang raid in the London Gazette supplement for 5 April 1951.

7. :roll: :roll: Just was amazed that they had BOOTIE pilots in the FAA :wink: :wink: Could have lost good money on that one in a bet :oops:

8. wet_blobby

Yep that's the fella Seaweed. I believe he was a lieut Col by that stage. He seems to have had a fairly colourful war. Of what I can gather he was acting as a kind of naval "master bomber" at the end of the war and chief air adviser to the British pacific fleet.

Unfortunatly the available info I've been able to read seems a bit sketchy.

9. wet_blobby

You'd of lost big time scouse, there was many RM pilots, allot of them where flight and Sqn OCs as well.

10. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Scouse, when ordinnary blue-beret sea service was more normal for RMs, RM officers used to be able to get watchkeeping certificates and also to qualify as Gunnery Officers (from 1936 there was about one per year qualifying until 1957 when the last one, M G Barber, qualified) and as FAA aircrew just like Executive (later Seaman) officers. Otherwise the OCRM in a big ship was mostly employed preventing the wardroom sofa from moving while forty bullocks did whatever driven by the Sarnt Major.

11. Ah, memories of the Royal Marine Recruiting Brochure/Pamphlet of the late '70s.
    There gazing out at prospective Booties was a steely eyed Colour Sergeant Pilot in his bright and shiny (OK, Olive Green) Gazelle, the impression being .."Yeah you too could be an NCO helicopter pilot", the odds were probably something like 10,000 to 1 if not higher (And thats for guys who have already passed out as RMs then got into the Air Squadron, as it was IMD, and then qualified as Air Crew.) Yeah mate a piece of pish!!
    FAA pilots had it easy!

12. wet_blobby

Dont think to much has changed NZB (except no more NCO pilots) The recent join up gumpf shows a booty fast air pilot. One of the lads I joined up with went on to fly helo's, wasn't to happy about having to get commissioned a few years back to continue flying so I heard.

13. :) :) Found him LT/COL P.P. Nelson-Gracie RM 1841/1845 Corsairs 848 Avengers . Air Group Commander HMS Formidable 2nd Carrier Airgroup :wink: :wink:

14. Major A.J. Wright RM Hms Glory 837 Barracuda 1851 Corsair AGC.... L/T Col RC HayRM. DSO and Bar 1834/1836 Corsairs Hms Victorious AGC ... Maj V.B.G Cheesman RM. DSO.MBE.DSC. AGC HMS Indefatigable 1770 sqdn

15. Bet he's wearing Corporals stripes eh? To suck in the green sods like me. :lol:
    Cor that must have been awful flying choppers and then Tiffin in the Mess whatwhat!! :D

16. wet_blobby

Been trying to find out a little bit more on flying bootnecks, not a great success but it got me thinking. There was I believe a few FAA pilots involved in the battle of britain, I wonder if any bootneck pilots were?

17. Maybe some of these?? :wink: Major JO Armour, RM
    784, 809, 892, 7th CAG, 15th CAG

Captain WGS Aston, RM

Major FDG Bird, RM
    759, 888

Captain FW Brown, RM
    786, 824

Major AR Burch, RM
    771, 822

Major VBG Cheesman, RM
    766, 788, 1770

Major LA Harris, RM
    746, 784

Major RC Hay, RM
    761, 805, 809, 897, No. 6 Wing, No. 47 Wing

Captain WHC Manson, RM
    710, 883

Captain AE Marsh, RM

Major WHN Martin, RM
    814, 821

Major PP Nelson-Gracie, RM
    877, 1843, No. 3 Wing, No. 10 Wing, 2nd CAG, 8th CAG

Captain AC Newson, RM
    753, 810, 821

Captain RT Partridge, RM
    800, 804

Captain O Patch, RM
    785, 816

Captain NRM Skene, RM

Captain DBL Smith, RM

Major AJ Wright, RM
    809, 898, 16th CAG

18. Loads of senior ranks (RN), were!!!!! Pilots I mean.

Who don't get invited to Tarranto night or any of the other FAA officer type pissups!!!!

Mank - mank, whinge - whinge. :evil:

19. wet_blobby

Would that be the raid on the Italian Fleet led by Major Oliver Patch RM?

20. No idea, but I know my old draftie was there. PO Pilot Charlie Wines. Later to become Lt. Cdr Charlie Wines FAA draftie for non techies, (handlers and crewies.)