Boot polish

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by theone2029, Feb 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi
    Im just trying to get the best advise on how to polish the boots you get when I go to Raleigh.
    I have a mate in the RAF and he gave me the following instructions:

Use a hairdryer to warm up the leather
    Then use black boot polish on the boots.
    Once dry use brown polish to bull with
    Then once that has been compleated to use parade gloss on the boots to give it a nice shine.

Can anyone tell me if that is a good method?
  2. Spit and polish. Don't use parade gloss.
  3. Don't know about the brown, but steer clear of parade gloss - or at least I would. It has some more/fewer chemicals in it to give it an easier shine, but its not as good as using normal black and putting some work in.

V. quickly:

Cloth on finger, dip in polish (not a lot), dip in clean water, small circles until polish 'feels' dry.
    Let dry further, clean (part of) cloth on finger, dip in water (no polish), small circles until bulled.
    Repeat until you go mad...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Could have done with that tit bit 30 odd years ago.

Glad I was WAFU, I had an excuse to be crap at bulling boots. :lol: :lol:
  5. Although I do wish that that tit bit could help me get to BRNC as a WAFU! Some how I don't think it will...

:scratch: :lol:

6. Kiwi black polish all the way doing what Lt Gen said.

my advice is not to use those yellow dusters they tell you to buy though as our entry found them to be useless. instead we went to the shop on base and brought silvet cloths and cotton wool balls and found them to be much better (use one or the other depending on how easy you find each)
  7. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Jacobean oak polish....Oh, you cant use that yet... 8)
  8. Yep, used the Selvyt polishing cloth 19 years ago and still got it somewhere. Fantastic bit of kit and plan to take a couple to Raleigh.

Check eBay for them.
  9. I used alsorts when i was in .Thats bollocks about parade gloss still us it now (yes).I have burnished burned used cobblers eel ball cotton woll yellow blue green and microfibre cloths and cotton wool also jewellery cloths .In the end it is down to you.Oh and DO NOT USE YOUR SPIT that is definitely out (its greasy ) :D
  10. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Electrolube PCB lacquer spray from Maplin... :twisted:

You bull your best pair of boots, not for everyday use.

The other pair just need to be kept clean and tidy with an on and off boot polish brush pack.

You will probably get shown how to bull your boots by an instructor who thinks hes the king of boot bulling when you get there anyway.
  12. I remember using a similar method when i was in and having them rubbed on the parade dirt for my troubles
  13. Bulling boots is a knack youve either got it or not,some people it can take an hour to do both boots, others days. If it takes you days get good at ironing and trade your time.
  14. Had dealings with the Butler on Arrse being ex RAC myself. He knows his stuff. Not seen that guide before Crabman, nice one.