Boot polish

#1
Hi
Im just trying to get the best advise on how to polish the boots you get when I go to Raleigh.
I have a mate in the RAF and he gave me the following instructions:

Use a hairdryer to warm up the leather
Then use black boot polish on the boots.
Once dry use brown polish to bull with
Then once that has been compleated to use parade gloss on the boots to give it a nice shine.

Can anyone tell me if that is a good method?
 
#3
Don't know about the brown, but steer clear of parade gloss - or at least I would. It has some more/fewer chemicals in it to give it an easier shine, but its not as good as using normal black and putting some work in.

V. quickly:

Cloth on finger, dip in polish (not a lot), dip in clean water, small circles until polish 'feels' dry.
Let dry further, clean (part of) cloth on finger, dip in water (no polish), small circles until bulled.
Repeat until you go mad...

Lt_Gen
 
#4
Lt_Gen_Me said:
Don't know about the brown, but steer clear of parade gloss - or at least I would. It has some more/fewer chemicals in it to give it an easier shine, but its not as good as using normal black and putting some work in.

V. quickly:

Cloth on finger, dip in polish (not a lot), dip in clean water, small circles until polish 'feels' dry.
Let dry further, clean (part of) cloth on finger, dip in water (no polish), small circles until bulled.
Repeat until you go mad...

Lt_Gen
Could have done with that tit bit 30 odd years ago.

Glad I was WAFU, I had an excuse to be crap at bulling boots. :lol: :lol:
 
#5
Waspie said:
Could have done with that tit bit 30 odd years ago.

Glad I was WAFU, I had an excuse to be crap at bulling boots. :lol: :lol:
Although I do wish that that tit bit could help me get to BRNC as a WAFU! Some how I don't think it will...

:scratch: :lol:

Lt_Gen
 
#6
Kiwi black polish all the way doing what Lt Gen said.

my advice is not to use those yellow dusters they tell you to buy though as our entry found them to be useless. instead we went to the shop on base and brought silvet cloths and cotton wool balls and found them to be much better (use one or the other depending on how easy you find each)
 
#8
UrbanSailor said:
Kiwi black polish all the way doing what Lt Gen said.

my advice is not to use those yellow dusters they tell you to buy though as our entry found them to be useless. instead we went to the shop on base and brought silvet cloths and cotton wool balls and found them to be much better (use one or the other depending on how easy you find each)
Yep, used the Selvyt polishing cloth 19 years ago and still got it somewhere. Fantastic bit of kit and plan to take a couple to Raleigh.

Check eBay for them.
 
#9
I used alsorts when i was in .Thats bollocks about parade gloss still us it now (yes).I have burnished burned used cobblers eel ball cotton woll yellow blue green and microfibre cloths and cotton wool also jewellery cloths .In the end it is down to you.Oh and DO NOT USE YOUR SPIT that is definitely out (its greasy ) :D
 
#13
Bulling boots is a knack youve either got it or not,some people it can take an hour to do both boots, others days. If it takes you days get good at ironing and trade your time.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

New Posts

Top