boot polish???

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by nufc70, Jan 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. just quick question, are some types of boot polish prohibited at Raleigh? i read somewhere on here that they dont allow some types. might not be true but it would be helpful if someone could let me know before i waste money buying a couple of tins.

i want to buy this type 'WEBTEX high gloss military boot polish' would this be allowed?

NO STUPID ANSWERS PLEASE!

thanks

2. used to use ME7 til it cracked during a divisions inspection......bugga!!!!!

3. haven't got a clue what that is lol :?

4. I remember something about not using parade gloss polish when I joined up but that was a while ago now things have changed.

5. The parade-gloss type polishes tend to crack when wet as I learnt the hard way. Normal Kiwi works well.

6. okay thanks i thought i had heard that somewhere. i'll remember to ask some of the staff when im on my RNAC next week see if they know.

7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Well that's us told, then... 8O :roll:

8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It certainly is..... [​IMG]

9. 4 or 5 layers of normal black, then 1 of parade gloss always worked for me in cadets

10. They sell Parade Gloss in the Naafi in Raleigh so am guessing its ok now.

but as stated - normal polish is better and then use either parade gloss for a final coat or - as i used to - dark tan ;-)

11. We just used normal shoe polish wasn't that hard to get them bulled. Although I have used Johnsons floor polish before on top lol

12. Me too

and:

Morello
    Tornado Bomber Nose cone paint
    JapLacq
    Printed Circuit Board Varnish (Electrolube)
    hairspray

at one time or another - Jap Lac is the best stuff :)

13. Don't use Fairy Liquid it is rains you will be FUBAR

14. Heres a brain fart for you!! i've been looking for normal black kiwi polish but every where i've looked so far has only had parade gloss... is kiwi not bothering with normal black anymore? any help would be most welcome.

15. Thanks soleil, will check out Tesco later :)

16. and make sure it is Kiwi. I didn't and bought cherry blossom stuff, doesn't work and melts far too soon.
    And if anyone tells you about the floor polish trick, it's fine till it rains, then it turns white and cloudy.

It rains alot in plymouth ....

17. I've used Parade Gloss for sixteen years without any problems at all for what it's worth.

One REALLY good tip is one a mate of mine from the Guards gave me, which was to put on a coat of brown polish every 3rd layer or so. I've done it and it really does help bring the shine up. The Guards also still use beeswax which isn't a bad idea if you want to be seriously into 'bulling'. Can't say i have tried it Jack being Jack, as i could be out drinking beer instead!?!?

18. Yes, used to do the brown/black combo as a Pongo (oooh er).

19. From us? 8O You'll be fcuking lucky. :D