Books

birdieb

Midshipman
Hi guys,

Can anyone recommend any books that are useful during the application process for officer?

I've seen the how2become guides online and was wondering if anybody knows whether these are any good/worth the money?

I'm applying for air engineering officer if that helps at all.

Thanks

JB

soleil

War Hero
Welcome to Rum Ration, birdieb!

The consensus is that candidates are able to be successful at the AIB by doing a lot of their own reading and preparation using various sources. One useful source is Rum Ration's AIB thread here:

http://www.navy-net.co.uk/newbies/3...iralty-interview-board-officer-selection.html

This will help:

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/linkedfiles/careers/upload/pdf/cnr_level_4_aib_lo_res_web.pdf

Browse around this:

Fleet Air Arm

Start by identifying your training pipeline and becoming familiar with the aircraft on which you will work and where you will be doing that. Once you have done that, expand your knowledge to ships, submarines, the Royal Marines and the RFA. Be able to identify ships, submarines and aircraft, so that, if someone were to point at a large photo on the wall and ask you to identify what is in the pic, you can answer with confidence.

That's your starter for ten.

birdieb

Midshipman
Thanks soleil! I will have a browse through those.

I dip in and out of reading Navy News because I tend to read the digital version online. Should probably get myself a subscription soon!

birdieb

Midshipman
Just started, kind of. I registered interest when I was 16 (4 years ago), now going into my final year at university so have a psychometric test booked for within the next month.

C

cúnt

I have 'The Royal Navy Handbook - The Definitive MoD Guide'. It's worth a fair bit of money though, so it might not be the best choice for casual reading mate.

birdieb

Midshipman
Wow, I hope the change in price isn't reflective of a massive change in quality. Will order that though, looks interesting, thanks for the link!

Latest Threads