Books about the FAA worth reading

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by lewismansell, May 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone suggest some good books to read abouot the FAA? I'm waiting for my invitation to BRNC, looking for some reading material before I go, especially those in the Pilot/Observer role.
  2. :wink: :wink: Sailor in the Air , Bit of a Tiff , Phoenix Squadron , Hms Leviathan . From the cockpit " Buccaneer Mk I" :lol: :lol: :lol:
  3. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Bring Back My Stringbag by John Godley
    Sea Flight by Hugh Popham
    Illustrious by Kenneth Poolman
  4. Sharkey Wards', Sea Harrier over the Falklands.

Excellent read by the CO of 801 NAS.

Then there is 'Special Forces Pilot', Richard Hutchings. Wessex 5 pilot during the Falklands campaign.

'Rescue 194' Search and rescue helicopter exploits.

The last two will give you a good insight into rotary wing ops in the FAA.
  5. Just acquired " On and off the flight deck " by Henry "Hank" Adlam. Looks the business :wink:
  6. Watch TOP GUN its all you need my friend

"Talk to me, Goose"
  7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

8. Forgot this good one " Up in Harms Way "
  9. Mmmm, a good book on the conflict spoilt by Ward's arrogant rants and personal prejudices towards his command chain, peers, the RAF, life, the universe and virtually anyone who wasn't on 801; it also contains several factual errors.

A far more personal and balanced account of SHAR ops during the war is imho 'Hostile Skies' by Dave Morgan.

10. Don't do balanced and personal. :lol:

Give me a good biased - opinionated read any day.

But he does get the point across that it isn't all silk scarf's and bandits at 12-o-clock. Nice long alerts on deck, shit weather and paperwork, war or not.

I'll keep my eyes out for 'Hostile Skies' though.
  11. Nuts, Zoo FHM & Loaded. Mostly what spoon fed growbags read between sortie 1 and the three days off before sortie 2 of the week!!! :)

Sharkies book is good, especially the Crab baiting bits!!!!
  12. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Wot no knitting patterns..?

13. I'm sure he was one of the Crab pilots on 1(F) squadron? :)
  14. 100 Years of British Naval Aviation by Christopher Shores isbn 978 1 844256617 £35 rrp