Books about the FAA worth reading

Can anyone suggest some good books to read abouot the FAA? I'm waiting for my invitation to BRNC, looking for some reading material before I go, especially those in the Pilot/Observer role.

:wink: :wink: Sailor in the Air , Bit of a Tiff , Phoenix Squadron , Hms Leviathan . From the cockpit " Buccaneer Mk I" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sharkey Wards', Sea Harrier over the Falklands.

Excellent read by the CO of 801 NAS.

Then there is 'Special Forces Pilot', Richard Hutchings. Wessex 5 pilot during the Falklands campaign.

'Rescue 194' Search and rescue helicopter exploits.

The last two will give you a good insight into rotary wing ops in the FAA.

Waspie said:

Mmmm, a good book on the conflict spoilt by Ward's arrogant rants and personal prejudices towards his command chain, peers, the RAF, life, the universe and virtually anyone who wasn't on 801; it also contains several factual errors.

A far more personal and balanced account of SHAR ops during the war is imho 'Hostile Skies' by Dave Morgan.

Regards,
MM

Magic_Mushroom said:
Waspie said:

Mmmm, a good book on the conflict spoilt by Ward's arrogant rants and personal prejudices towards his command chain, peers, the RAF, life, the universe and virtually anyone who wasn't on 801; it also contains several factual errors.

A far more personal and balanced account of SHAR ops during the war is imho 'Hostile Skies' by Dave Morgan.

Regards,
MM
Don't do balanced and personal. :lol:

Give me a good biased - opinionated read any day.

But he does get the point across that it isn't all silk scarf's and bandits at 12-o-clock. Nice long alerts on deck, shit weather and paperwork, war or not.

I'll keep my eyes out for 'Hostile Skies' though.

Nuts, Zoo FHM & Loaded. Mostly what spoon fed growbags read between sortie 1 and the three days off before sortie 2 of the week!!! :)

Sharkies book is good, especially the Crab baiting bits!!!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C The Fleet Air Arm 12
andym Diamond Lil's 27
SS-super-stoker The Corps 17