Books about Marines - any good???

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by SS-super-stoker, Oct 7, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ahoy there Marine type people, quick question please:

Been reading a lot about this Steve Preece guy (author of Marine this / that type books) over on the ARRSE site.

To the casual observer he does appear to be coming over as a bit of a mentalist (but not in a good way). Have you got anything to say good / bad about his books / ninja activities? Are the nasty Army types just being naughty?
  2. just going there to suss out the thread get back to you kk
  3. k where bouts on arrse is the thread??
  4. Read both the books, not massively positive about the Bootneck experience

He fecked off a lot of arrsers by chopsing off about his book and I believe also "Pretending" to post as a reviewer for his books or a long lost oppo or some other shoite.

Now a ninja apparently!!

Read Reflected Glory by Carney lake or one of the "Joining the Royal Marines" type books
  5. Read Royal Marine Commandos by John Parker , its bloody good complete history from the start to about 2002
  6. I had a look at the aarse threads, dunno about the book but there was some seriously funny banter going on there. And I thought we could be rude to each other..... sheeesh
  7. Was in 45 in the Mid 90's and to be fair the dit's in his book were local legend. To be fair the book does reflect some goings on but all to the same guy? Can't see it being true. It's basically a collection of dit's no doubt heard at stand easys and on WD's by some sprog who then Ghost wrote it and came up with these books. wastes a couple of hours in the airport but thats about it.
  8. Does a newspaper article automatically make things true then?

Lots of things are 'based on a true story' (any number of Hollywood films for example), and the end result is often far different to what actually happened.
  9. There's more than a newspaper article.

Try the discussion from the marines website. Unless you're blind you'll have a differing opinion by the time you reach the end.

Also read the other, more lengthy. Its 10 pages long. Use the pages, field in the bottom left hand corner to flip pages:

This one's a good read:

Read Yashin's comments here:

10. Thanks for posting a load of links to different anonymous forum posts, any one, or indeed all of them could be written by yourself.

As such, they're not exactly proof!

Oh yes, one more thing:

"I recognise you as Steven Preece, do I win five pounds?"
  11. Read the book by Preece, agree with the post above, a compilation of fact and marine legend. Would be the unluckiest bootneck around to happen all to the same person.

Made a bit of dosh out of it though, like the B20 and OTGA books by McNab and Ryan respectively, take with a pinch of salt.
  12. No you don't win five pounds. But you must be blind if you can't interpret the truth behind all those conversations.

Anyway: I've said my peice on these books.

Time to view other topics.

13. Steve Preece is just a little bit silly either to much piss or to many head bangs and his book has to be taken with a wee bit of salt.
    Not a bad bloke just a bit messed up especially when on the piss but he should stop writing books and join AA or start smoking weed
  14. In his second book he says he's all against drugs so the weed will be a none starter. Maybe he should just stick with the ale and join the RAC. They're better than the AA.

15. Ive read his books and also was serving around that time.
    A lot of what he wrote did happen and you have to remember that it was over a period of years.
    I saw some of the things happen that Steve described,different time different place but those type of things did happen.
    Also there were people who were that aggressive and loved to fight.
    No I did not serve with Steve,I left just as he was joining.
    But to the many doubters that kind of aggression did happen as did the shitting in wierd places and so forth.
    If you didnt keep your mouth shut when you joined a Unit then you stood a good chance of getting it shut for you,especially if you were a sprog.
    So read em and weep,they brought back many good memories for me