Book - SSN 14 - Ryan Ramsey

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by soleil, Apr 10, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Thank you Sol

2. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

If you look on Amazon you can get it for kindle for about £4.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Click on Sol's second post which is the Amazon link and it's on there for 3.99.

4. Obviously, for actual orders, the Amazon UK one is the better of the two. I added the XLibris one partly because that is the publisher, but also because it's presented in a slightly different way.

5. My very last boat. Left it in the 20th century (1994). Think I shall get myself a copy. Should make for an interesting read.

6. Just one last thing to add.

I gather that Ryan Ramsey has said that the profits from his book are going to a submarine-linked charity.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Anyone got any opinions on the book or do I need to buy it to find out? Knew the author briefly and in passing (ACSC, MWarC), saw him on TV once or twice, he seemed OK if a bit overexposed.

• Like Like x 1
  8. It'll be a pretty average story frankly; simply by virtue of what they did/didn't and the fact it's open source...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Purple_twiglet

Its an okay read - feels like a 'I've gone outside and need to raise my profile a bit'.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I have served with the author of this book and can confirm he was an exceptional leader/officer/person
    So I will be getting this book and hopefully get to understand how it all worked from his perspective. So much of his time on Turbulent will not be talked about in great detail due to the a lot of the running that it did.

I know plenty of bods who were on Turbulent at the time he was skipper and every single one of them absolutely cherish their time on that platform. Something that simply cannot be said for the wider SM service at the time and today.

A huge loss to the RN that he no longer serves

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

He was always very tanned for a sundodger.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Read the book now. It is very much based on his leadership style. Good read.
    So much of the juicy running it (turbs) did has been completely left out. For obvious reasons

But as said above. The Author was/is an exceptional leader/officer. So many COs/leaders in the SM service are not even a mark on him in my opinion.

13. Purple_twiglet

Thanks for that - why do you think he did so well as a leader, and what was it he did that others didnt that made you so positive about him?

14. So was / am I!!

I was sun burned when we entered San Fran after a Falklands patrol! Long story, surfaced weekend and BBQ off Chile. You can get 8 submariners round the radar mast well at any one time......... (obviously you need to be surfaced at the time!)

15. Don't think I have ever met/served with a skipper/XO/Officer as engaging as him.
    He knew everyone on board. He made sure he knew their names, he ensured their moral was as high as it could be. All he demanded was that you were ready to go at the right place at the right time bought in to the mission.

From those I know who served under him when he was the skipper of Turbulent. absolutely NONE of them have a bad word to say about their time on there. People would ask waterfront manning NOT to draft them off. People from other boats would push to get drafted on there. When does that happen?????

Just a small example, when someone from Turbs' ship's company (or from another boat) was stung at short notice to sail, their NoK would receive a hand written letter from the CO thanking them. He must of written hundreds of these. I could list countless things he delivered for his crew. incredible really.
    And his crew really delivered for him.

Just so many people who I know who were on Turbs at the time just rave about it. Which is absolutely something that cannot be said about other boats at the time and since to that extent, in my opinion.

I remember another skipper who told people to dry their eye's with some very rude expletives added when they were bounced at short notice for sea. Ryan Ramsey may he felt that inside but he sure as shit never ever let it on.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. I remember him when he was a part 3 on Opportune, top bloke even back then.

17. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

I'm waiting on Madden 96's opinion and advice before I dive in.

See what I did there?

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. A good enough read , but very much written from a people management perspective. Ryan Ramsay came across as a very decent person in both his book and the Submarine patrol series. There are other books out there (some very good) written by ex RN personnel which go more in to the life of a sailor serving on a submarine including runs ashore which may be of more interest to those seeking a career in the service.
    Pv

PS I'm definitely not M96.