Book Reviews - New Site Function

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Ageing_Gracefully, Jan 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Some of you have noticed that there is a Reviews section on RR now and I will be putting book reviews there along with links to allow you to buy if they catch your fancy.

This now gives us the opportunity to start up a Reviewers section and start to populate the site with book reviews of a nautical (or other interest) theme.

It will work in a similar manner as Arrse and Rear Party in that I source books from publishers and ask for reviewer(s) to take on, read and produce a review for the site. The benefits of this include - getting free books - giving something back to the site - helping other members with their reading lists - increases the interest factor for the site. Points against - nil - if you are not interested, move on.

I would like to ask if there are people who would like to take part in this and sign up as reviewers. I already have a couple who I hope will be willing to continue. If you do want to, then reply to this thread and I will take from there.

Being of a somewhat landbased persuasion I will need some help with the naval side of literary life; if there are any books that you think should be reviewed then let me know by replying to this thread with the name of the book and author and I will approach the publishers to see if I can get it.

If you have read a book then do a review and add it to this forum as a new thread and I will take from there. I will keep a bit of control and decide what to put up, but a good example is In2Deep which was posted by Naval_Gazer, and which I will put up in the reviews section soon.

If there are any questions you would like to ask please do so, either as a reply to this thread or as a PM.

I hope we can get this up and running in the next few weeks.

A-G

2. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I don't mind having a shufti at the odd book Auld Yin but like you, i don't know much about sea things.

Anything by Max Arthur would be nice though. (Hopefully Pararegtom has a new one for me!)

3. Ageing_Gracefully

i
    If he does and has not let me know then he is toast!!!! Anyway, thanks for the offer and if you do get one, how about a review?

p.s. On this site I ain't Auld-Yin as that moniker was taken. My username here is perhaps a better description!!!! :)

4. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I'm meeting up with him on Tuesday so i'll let you know. If he has one for me, i'll read it and review it.

Auld Yin. Ageing Gracefully. Why not change them both to Ancient Knacker? :D

5. Ageing_Gracefully

Any navy types up for this or is reading a bit difficult for you? Seriously this could be a good opportunity, especially for those who have the time now to do a bit of extra reading.

6. Ageing_Gracefully

No takers? I'm a bit disappointed.

7. jockpopeye

jockpopeye Badgeman Book Reviewer

I would be willing to do it. I am a rather hopeless and inexperienced (but enthusiastic) RNR, but am quite well read.

8. Subsunk

Subsunk Badgeman Book Reviewer

I'll have a go. Let me have a look at a couple of titles and I'll PM you soon.

9. I would be happy to take part, but as am a bit of a technophobe, I will need guiding through the process.

10. Ageing_Gracefully

Subsunk - I need a PM from you with your address asap. See PMs.

11. I read an average of two books a week, and have done for ........ a long time. I've read 60 + about Banner alone in the last 5/6, and have just finished another Falklands one - '5 Brigade' by that eejit Van de Bijl - the guy who spent his whole time behind a desk, then wrote books about where the guys at the sharp end went wrong.
    I submitted a review to Amazon after I read his 'Operation Banner', and the review was mentioned on AARSE.
    I tend to be a little ..... honest (?) when it comes to books, especially non-fiction.

12. Ageing_Gracefully

Delrick - PM sent. Sorry for the delay in replying.

13. They may like to review Pull Up a Sandbag one or two Senior Service Tales managed to creep into the book and we have a couple already lined up for the sequel, one sent in by a possible member of Rum Ration and involves 1 x Secretary of Defence & large Entourage, 1 x Nuclear Polaris Submarine Captain + crew and 1 x large metallic black sausage shaped boat thing in the Clyde I do believe... ;)

14. Having never seen a shot fired in anger,except from some sailors at Tipnor whilst I was drafted there! I have quite a few books on the Afghanistan conflict.
    I'm not an Armchair warrior and would never dream of making any comments re.the actions taken.
    However the best book I've read from there was the USA "Restrepo"
    It gives the perspective of the real fighting at close quarters in a way that is funny and tragic.
    Those Soldiers went thru a special type of Hell against a fearless enemy.
    Not all action, it has it's funny moments and opinions of men at war knowing the next day may be their last and for a lot of them it was.
    A fine book from the worlds most dangerous valley.I recommend it.

15. I concur, excellent book. Not normally given to reading American military history books, too gung ho, but this one is well worth reading.

16. Ageing_Gracefully

Seafarer

Thanks for that. Restrepo turned into a 3 part series 1 x book, 1 x film 1 x photo journalism, the latter by Tim Hetherington who was killed while covering events in Libya.

The reviews for each of these are on ARRSE and as I don't have time at present I will ask you to search for them.

I agree these were excellent subjects, well covered by the authors and showed a US infantry company at work. Well worth the effort to get and read/watch.

17. Thanks,as well as the book I did order the DVD from Amazon,it was quite reasonable I think.
    I haven't watched it yet as I'll wait until the wife goes to Bingo and I'll settle with a Bottle of red and watch it then in peace!
    I wanted to put names and faces to the men in the book,sort of brings everything together if you know what I mean.
    I'm sure our troops have been thru just as much, it was more the style and content of the writer and his professional take on it that pulled it up for me.

18. I rarely read fiction so can I recommend another factual book? "The Last Valley" the story of the French disaster at Dien Bien Phu.
    After reading it you can see it was bound to happen.
    Not the fact that some of soldiers especially the Paras and the French Foreign Legion fought bravely,it was the usual cock ups of siting artillery in pits that were very wide so an incoming shell would wipe out everything in that area.
    Thick book but well worth a read if you are interested in conflicts that went wrong after the fact.