Book Review - The Pacific - reviewer wanted

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Ageing_Gracefully, Nov 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Many of you know that we operate a book review service over on Arrse, some of you that can actually read may just have had a look :)

Anyhoo, I have been asked to get a reviewer for a book called The Pacific which deals with (mainly) the USMC in the Pacific theatre in WW2.

If any of you matelots or Maureens wish to have a go at this send me a PM and I will arrange for the book to be sent to you for review. I would suggest that it is not done by a submariner just about to go on patrol as I think the publisher would like to see the review up in RR in the near future.

So, if you feel up for it and can write a review of approx 400-500 words about the book, send me a PM and one lucky person will get a free book.

a.k.a. Auld-Yin on Arrse
  2. Ageing_Gracefully

I have had a couple of offers, thanks. I am just going to run this for another day just to give people a chance - plus I am away from home just now! I will then use the highly technical and complex system to choose a reviewer by tossing a coin.
  3. Why don't you reccomend reading the books that "The Pacific" is based upon insted?

"A helmet for my pillow" by R.Leckie, and "With the old breed" by Eugene Sledge.

I'm not saying "The Pacific" isn't a good read, but there is so much more to be learn't about the Pacific Campaign from these two books. They "add meat to the bone"..

I'm halfway hrough With the old breed,so can't comment fully upon their exact content, but have read other articles on the Pacific relating to these two veterans.

Or, how about "Flags of our Fathers"......?
  4. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

:? Is this not a newly wrote book about to be published?
  5. Ageing_Gracefully

Gash Hand

Thanks for your input and what you have said is quite relevant. However, I have been asked by the publisher to get this book reviewed by a member of Rum Ration and posted on here. I now have a mug (oops sorry, volunteer) and the review will be posted here in due course.

You probably know that Arrse runs a book review section and With the Old Breed and Helmet for my Pillow which were used extensively for this book have been reviewed there. I have added the links to these reviews, so please have a look.

"Flags of our Fathers" and "Letters from Iwo Jima" would be great books to review also - if you can let me know the publishers I will try and get them. If I do I may come back to you and ask if you want to review.