Book - Groovers On Manoeuvres - HMS Sheffield's cheeky Australasia '95 Deployment

Wilts

Groovers On Manoeuvres follows a killock through a seven-month deployment on the Shiny Sheff in 1995. Available from Amazon

It details joining up and some basic training and mentions some earlier experiences before fast-forwarding 6 years to the authors 3rd and final draft on HMS Sheffield. The idea is to highlight the fun from the horse mouth rather than read the tabloid scandal which is often put unfairly in the press.

From Tony Wilton - Groovers is about the fun and the belly laughs. The only personal trauma mentioned is that of my own. During my time in the mob I only did 3 deployments, and yes, while that’s less than Nelson’s spare flip-flops, I’m savvy enough to know a good one. Australasia ‘95 was BZ, if not THE best for many matelots and that was because of the positives and the fun. It’s far better to look back at those and tell those dits rather than the negative supposition usually found within tabloid crap about scandal and anarchy usually associated with the Navy. Sure, I may mention a personality clash or two between some protagonists, myself included, but enjoy them for what they are.

groover.jpg

Synopsis.

After leaving their loved ones behind on Devil’s Point, the crew of the ‘Shiny Sheff’ sailed from Plymouth in March of 1995 for a 7-month trip to the Far-East and Australia with a few stops and a spot of shore leave in between.

Tony Wilton joined HMS Sheffield 2-months before deploying on a trip which would see him submitting to the dreaded drink in almost every port.
After a commitment in the Middle-East, where he got an initial insight into the irresponsibilities of one or two of his crew-mates, Sheffield sailed east stopping in Madras, India witnessing poverty and despair first-hand before more memorable visits to Bangkok, Brunei, Singapore and Manila.

A visit to Indonesia saw the ship’s company taking part in the largest military parade the country had ever seen while buying souvenirs in Sri Lanka led to conflict with Columbo’s armed police.

Crossing the Equator en-route to Australia the crew of HMS Sheffield paid homage to King Neptune in a ceremony performed by sailors for centuries referred to as ‘Crossing the Line’ before steaming to Darwin for an encounter with angry Aussie strippers and an old British football celebrity.

‘Groovers on Manoeuvres’ tells how the Royal Navy live day to day in a small metal box on board one of Her Majesty’s big grey war canoes with just a beer fridge and a few friends to share it with and how, through the course of a deployment, the true colours of the senior service shine through.

Can be purchased here at Amazon and is on Kindle or Paperback.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Groovers On Manoeuvres follows a killock through a seven-month deployment on the Shiny Sheff in 1995. Available from Amazon

It details joining up and some basic training and mentions some earlier experiences before fast-forwarding 6 years to the authors 3rd and final draft on HMS Sheffield. The idea is to highlight the fun from the horse mouth rather than read the tabloid scandal which is often put unfairly in the press.

From Tony Wilton - Groovers is about the fun and the belly laughs. The only personal trauma mentioned is that of my own. During my time in the mob I only did 3 deployments, and yes, while that’s less than Nelson’s spare flip-flops, I’m savvy enough to know a good one. Australasia ‘95 was BZ, if not THE best for many matelots and that was because of the positives and the fun. It’s far better to look back at those and tell those dits rather than the negative supposition usually found within tabloid crap about scandal and anarchy usually associated with the Navy. Sure, I may mention a personality clash or two between some protagonists, myself included, but enjoy them for what they are.

Synopsis.

After leaving their loved ones behind on Devil’s Point, the crew of the ‘Shiny Sheff’ sailed from Plymouth in March of 1995 for a 7-month trip to the Far-East and Australia with a few stops and a spot of shore leave in between.

Tony Wilton joined HMS Sheffield 2-months before deploying on a trip which would see him submitting to the dreaded drink in almost every port.
After a commitment in the Middle-East, where he got an initial insight into the irresponsibilities of one or two of his crew-mates, Sheffield sailed east stopping in Madras, India witnessing poverty and despair first-hand before more memorable visits to Bangkok, Brunei, Singapore and Manila.

A visit to Indonesia saw the ship’s company taking part in the largest military parade the country had ever seen while buying souvenirs in Sri Lanka led to conflict with Columbo’s armed police.

Crossing the Equator en-route to Australia the crew of HMS Sheffield paid homage to King Neptune in a ceremony performed by sailors for centuries referred to as ‘Crossing the Line’ before steaming to Darwin for an encounter with angry Aussie strippers and an old British football celebrity.

‘Groovers on Manoeuvres’ tells how the Royal Navy live day to day in a small metal box on board one of Her Majesty’s big grey war canoes with just a beer fridge and a few friends to share it with and how, through the course of a deployment, the true colours of the senior service shine through.

Can be purchased here at Amazon and is on Kindle or Paperback.
Just one beer fridge?? Not when I went onboard for a call round.

Fair play though.

Latest Threads