Book Comp: The Cooler King by Patrick Bishop

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by Ageing_Gracefully, Aug 30, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

The Cooler King is about an RAF pilot, William Ash, who became a POW and a complete PITA to the Germans. He is one of the many who have been linked to the character of Hiltz in the film "The Great Escape" but Ash certainly comes closest to that description.

Patrick Bishop has written an enthralling book about Ash and his exploits and we have three copies of this book to give away as prizes. To enter go to the SurveyMonkey page at : Entry Form

The competition will run until Sunday 13th September.

The review of the book by Cynical can be found here:

2. In under the Wire
  3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I'm in
  4. Janners cheating again, he's entered twice!!!!
  5. Once more into the breach
  6. In Q3 could be tricky at the time or now?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ageing_Gracefully

Failed 'Comprehension' at skule did ya!?
  8. The clue is in the question, I hope or I've bolloxed it as well
  9. Snap :D
  10. I went to a comprehensive which became a secondary modern school which really screwed me up if that counts

That English stuff is well tricky, sums make more sense
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Ageing_Gracefully

The winners are:

@Zhopa @hairyarse2 @Miner

The answers are:

Q1 Ash was born in Texas USA.

Q2. Ash's first job after university was Lift Operator. he went to Uni in USA prior to the war and Uni in UKL after the war. His first job after uni therefore was lift operator in USA.

Q3. Now the question that got many of you exercised and, it appears, confused. The question is quite straightforward in what country was the Camp - the Camp was in Germany. This area is now part of Poland and has been since the war ended, but it is the site of the camp, it is no longer a camp. So the answer I accepted was GERMANY, the country the camp was in when Ash was a PoW.
  12. Did not win bummer? but at least I had all 3Q correct? Multiple choice luck