Book Comp - Rommel's Desert Warriors 1941-42

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by Ageing_Gracefully, Mar 11, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

This competition is for the perfect RUM RATION book - it is nearly all pictures!! 8) What it is though is a great pictorial depiction of the Deutchesafrikakorps in action and at rest. This book would be ideal for people interested in the desert warfare and also military modellers. For a chance to win one of four copies of this book just go to the entry form on Survey Monkey, complete the extremely simple questions correctly and you will be in with a shout.

The book review can be found here.

The competition will run until Sunday 24th March 2013.
  2. Hmmm, interesting book indeed - particularly as I'm writing an Afrikakorps-heavy book of my own right now :)

Michael Olive knows his stuff - he used to be (and may still be) involved in JJF publishing (J. J. F. Publishing), who for a long time were pretty much the only people in the WW2 German memoir / unit history game.

If it whets your appetite for DAK and PzAOK Afrika, I can heartily recommend Bernd Pietz's book:

Das Afrikakorps: In Original-Farbfotografien: Bernd Peitz: Bücher

and in English
  3. kindly e-mail all the answers as I wish to check them before posting of my answers, plagiarism at its best
  4. Thanks for that Ed entry posted
  5. One I actually knew the answers to without looking, but still double checked in case of any sneakiness.
  6. Entered in .........
  7. Ageing_Gracefully

"Sneakiness"...... Harrumph!!! I'm................ I'm...................

Well pleased :evil2:
  8. Wrecker was bound to know the answers, he served with the Kriegsmarine on their boats.
  9. That's how I met the wife, she was in the Geheime Staatspolizei :)
  10. Rommel couldn't spell dromedary, everyone knows that FFS.
  11. Ageing_Gracefully

Well Asst-Ed, you know where to get your book reviewed when it is ready. :read:
  12. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

13. Ageing_Gracefully

Winner and Answers - Rommel's Desert Warriors

Comp closed and winner drawn, they are:

• bucky7419
    • gobblywobbly
    • Cooee
    • Priesty

As ever I shall email them and they have two weeks in which to claim their prize.

The answers are:

Q1 the 88mm was originally designated Flugzeugabwehrkanonen (Anti-Aircraft Gun)

Q2 the general to take over the Deutchesafrikakorps from Rommel was Gen Cruwell

Q3 the insignia of the DAK was a Palm Tree superimposed with a Swastika

Well done to those who were lucky enough to win. There is still a competition running for STERLING and one due to start for PILGRIM SOUL - have a go for some good reading.