Book Comp - jan 2016 - Mil Hist Pot Luck

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by Ageing_Gracefully, Jan 31, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

First of this year and a comp for one of 5 different Mil Hist books. This year I intend using individual Corps for my questions and this one I have started with one of the shortest living Corps yet one which every soldier will have come across and whose tradesmen are still looking after the troops of today - the Army Catering Corps.

The competition entry form can be found here: Entry Form

This competition will be just a short run one and will last until next Sunday, 7th February.

Good luck!

2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Done

3. Ageing_Gracefully

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Diddit

5. dididit

But Q3, was a guess, just like the cabbage mechanic, I found a number of different dates for the school opening, including some not on the list :eek:

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

'ardest course in the world, mate. Dunnit, innit.

7. Had fun researching the answers to this, with one detailed source saved for future reading. Much as we take the piss out of the catering side, we also appreciate just how essential they are to the daily functioning of our armed forces, wherever they may be.

Agree with Dapperdunn and Mikh though - the date I selected was the only one that matched a source but there was another one that was close-but-not-the-same date as one offered that claims it was the first centralised school. Confused.

Still, gotta be innit to winnit.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Done (I too was a tad stumped by the variation in dates)

9. Done thought I had missed it

10. I was never confused, probably wrong but defiantly not confused.;)

11. Shurely it's my turn this time! Ticks in all the right circles...

12. Ageing_Gracefully

Ladles and gentlespoons, the moment you have all been waiting so anxiously for, the winners and answers to this first book comp of the year.There has been some angst amongst people claiming I am incorrect in my question choices - I can assure you that I was not and the links to the relevant answers are given, just to shut people up (as if that will work! :rolleyes: )

Q1: When did the ACC become a Corps in its own right and not part of a larger Corps: Answer 1965. Although formed as a Corps in 1941 the ACC were formed as part of the RASC and remained so until 1/1/65.

Q2 Which famous chef designed a cooking vessel for troop in the Crimea and which lasted in use for over 100 yhears: Answer - Alexis Soyer. If you have watched the film Zulu you would have seen one being used to cook soup which the cook was ordered to pour on the fires to put them out prior to the battle.

Q3. The question that cased most of the angst. When was the first centralised catering school school set uop in Aldershot. Several clues there first, centralised (although sole have been confused by this, but there were catering schools set up in various locations until being brought together in Aldershot in 1913! So the answer is 1913. National Army Museum - ACC link From the RLC website regarding catering schools prior to 1913.

What fun!!

The winners, which is the important bit and chosen from the people who got all three questions correct (50%) are:

@Arte_et_Marte

@robroy
    @seajudged
    @The_Templar
    @janner

Emails have gone out to them for their details so I can forward their well deserved prizes.

• Like Like x 1
  13. janner

There's a well deserved winner at the bottom of the list. Addee sent via email

14. You only got Q3 right because you were there at the time ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. janner

Envy is a dreadful thing.