Book Comp: Guttenberg's Apprentice

Ageing_Gracefully

War Hero
Review Editor
Book Reviewer
Most people will have heard of the Guttenberg Bible, the first printed book, using moveable print, in Western society. Very little is known about Guttenberg after the invention of the printing press and the production of the Bible, but it is thought he was cheated out of his invention by his financiers and he disappeared into the mists of medieval Europe. This book brings a fictional account of what may have happened using much research from universities and libraries in Europe and America. A clever tale explaining the invention, financing and downfall of Guttenberg. There is much about the political skulduggery by the Church and local powerful landlords, how life was financed in the medieval times and what life was like. A very interesting read and one that would make great summer reading.

There are three copies of this available as prizes and the competition will run until Sunday 26 July 2015.

The competition can be entered here: Guttenberg's Apprentice

A review should be available shortly.

Done too.

According to the World Wide Net there are a number of opinions on how many still survive - only one matched one of those on offer and the others didn't match any, so best guess applies!

just got round to it but now in, being a bible is that Church stuff? no use to me its in Latin, I struggle with England as wrote

Ageing_Gracefully

War Hero
Review Editor
Book Reviewer
Comp now closed and winners chosen. They are

@exJenny
@theoriginalphantom
@Dredd
@Sixty

Emails have gone out notifying them and asking them for their address.

The answers: Well hardly worth putting up as for the first time there is a 100% correct response. I really must try harder.

Q1 180 copies printed and now, in differing conditions there are reckoned to be 49

Q2 Gutenberg was the Household name, the family name was Genfleisch

Q3 Vellum is treated calf skin.

Comp now closed and winners chosen. They are

@exJenny
@theoriginalphantom
@Dredd
@Sixty

Emails have gone out notifying them and asking them for their address.

The answers: Well hardly worth putting up as for the first time there is a 100% correct response. I really must try harder.

Q1 180 copies printed and now, in differing conditions there are reckoned to be 49

Q2 Gutenberg was the Household name, the family name was Genfleisch

Q3 Vellum is treated calf skin.
AG There are three copies of this available as prizes and the competition will run until Sunday 26 July 2015
How come there was 4 winning names?

Ageing_Gracefully

War Hero
Review Editor
Book Reviewer
AG There are three copies of this available as prizes and the competition will run until Sunday 26 July 2015
How come there was 4 winning names?
Well spotted, never knew matelows were any good at arithmetic!

I got a review copy therefore added mine to it, so one copy will be second hand - one careful owner.