Bone question coming up...

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by JaFAA, Feb 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Okay it's not that bad. But is still a bit daft...

I have an initial presentation at the AFCO on Thursday.

I've pretty much gathered it's best to wear a suit to this.

However, I'm working that day, and don't know if I'll be allowed to leave in time to get suited up - I had to ask for half the day off and need to drive for about 45 mins to get into Leeds (then park somewhere etc), so might be cutting it a bit fine and REALLY don't want the shame of turning up late.

My work uniform isn't too shabby - smart shirt, tie, smart shoes etc. So how big of a deal is the suit wearing?

Most people who ask questions about what to wear have said they spoke to the AFCO and were told 'smart casual', but then people on here say suit.

Any advice or personal experiences of being the only one without a suit?
  2. We've had worse questions posted on here today, believe me!

Can you not do a quick change in the loo before leaving work? I'd rather interview someone in a suit but I'm not AFCO, so thats just my opinion and counts for not a lot.
  3. I recommend wearing a suit because it always looks good. I went for my medical today and there were three of us waiting - I was the only one wearing a suit and it didn't bother me at all.
    It sounds as if your work clothes are smart enough anyway, perhaps bring a jacket and leave it in the car.

Good luck!
  4. Thanks for the advice. I think I'll just turn up in my work gear. I'll probably feel more at ease like that anyway, as I won't have to be concerned about what I'm wearing because I have the 'just got here straight from work' excuse hah!

I'll suit up when I get to the interview stage, but for now all I have to do is listen to what the careers officer has to say!
  5. You said you work stuff is smart, so I can't see that being a problem....unless you're a bunny girl or something. :wink:
  6. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

9. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

10. Photoshopped?
  13. I just turned up in shirt, trousers and tie and as it was I was the only one there like that so as long as you look smart knock 'em dead (though not literally as this may have an adverse effect on your application).
  14. I recommend ballbags and spats for all occasions.Oh , and a bra if its formal
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

To be honest, if it's just a presentation you are attending, most AFCOs are rather chuffed if you actually turn up. Partially dressed & 5 minutes early, is better than most.
  16. Awesome, well I'll be getting there in good time in my work uniform which I think is all good.

One more question - Is the presentation mostly a listening exercise or is it the norm to bring a pen and paper to write down as much as I can?
  17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It tends to be interactive- the idea being you can ask as many questions as you like. There are a wide range of factsheets available covering most things but you are welcome to take notes if you wish.

Quite often when those attending are asked f they have any questions after the presentation, the majority feel that the questions they initially had, have already been answered before they were asked! The presentation is quite well thought-out & deliberately addresses items frequently asked, such as the role of the service, the different jobs available, how to join, timescales, advantages, disadvantages, pay, terms & conditions etc., etc.
  18. Out of interest, are the presentations just for officer candidates?
  19. Research with university students indicates that you will take more information in by just listening to what is being said. Take notes later, perhaps?
  20. Bang on, cheers!