Bombers/Hunter Killers

Grenadier

Badgeman
Is it true that once you're posted to either one then you"ll spend your career serving on that type and not get the chance to change ? Must be a problem with retention for younger blokes if they're stuck on bombers and cant change ?

Tigerpaw

Lantern Swinger
Is it true that once you're posted to either one then you"ll spend your career serving on that type and not get the chance to change ? Must be a problem with retention for younger blokes if they're stuck on bombers and cant change ?
No. You can move between the 2 classes. There are some roles that are on bombers and not on attack. If you want to swap, speak to your drafty if you want to swap

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

BillyNoMates

War Hero
V's or A's. Makes no difference really. Everyone will speak fluent Jock by the end of their first draft and you will all love haggis for breakfast, dinner and tea.
You cannot get "stuck" on one class of boat, but you will most certainly be "stuck" with only a choice of two - and one base port as far as I know these days.

BNM
(ex Sundodger exempt bombers, 1972-1994).

Grenadier

Badgeman
Thks for your replies lads , I was just curious that's all , I'm ex army (80s) and at present am an RFA Comms apprentice and FAR too old at 54 for a career in subs !! Mind you with this new ruling that you can rejoin the army up to age 57 you never know !

Grenadier

Badgeman
V's or A's. Makes no difference really. Everyone will speak fluent Jock by the end of their first draft and you will all love haggis for breakfast, dinner and tea.
You cannot get "stuck" on one class of boat, but you will most certainly be "stuck" with only a choice of two - and one base port as far as I know these days.

BNM
(ex Sundodger exempt bombers, 1972-1994).
But Hunter Killers get some decent runs ashore so I'm told ?

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
SSN's get the runs ashore, bombers get the stability of knowing when you'll be home.

Luckily I never had a bomber, was always Guzz based SSN's.

BillyNoMates

War Hero
First five years of boating...... I never went anywhere, honest. I may have been somewhere, but not really because we did not go anywhere - and definitely not there, or anywhere near there for that matter.
I did go somewhere eventually, and it wasn't back there where we had never been anyway.

Sumo

War Hero
First five years of boating...... I never went anywhere, honest. I may have been somewhere, but not really because we did not go anywhere - and definitely not there, or anywhere near there for that matter.
I did go somewhere eventually, and it wasn't back there where we had never been anyway.
Cus you were never there.
Me on the other hand 12 years skimmers before 12 years boats I went places, got drunk and forgot all the places I had been?

BillyNoMates

War Hero
In no particular order:

Corfu x 3
Charleston
West Palm
Fort Lauderdale
Cape Canaveral
Haakonsvern
Haifa
Hull
Birkenhead