Bomber Deployments

Harra3

Midshipman
Dear All,

Thanks in advance for any response, starting Raleigh finally after a long long wait on monday the 1st of November. The application started over 3 years ago, because of time spent outside the UK the security clearance took close on 18 months to come through,
Initially i wasnt interested in being on Boats, however, my mind has been changed, i told the AFCO and he said to me to let Raleigh know as soon as i arrive that i would like to go boats if possible (joining as warfare spec)
My question are the following,
1) What are the deployment cycles on the Bombers?
2) What is the rough amount of extra money, afco very unsure, just said it was good,he thought apart from the 5k golden hello there was about 20quid a day every day retention money plus sea money when your away.
I am 35 now so not a spring chicken, i feel that being able to plan my life a little would be helpfull therefore bombers could be a good option. Any ideas about promotion prospects within the boats?
I would consider myself a driven person, i have 2 degrees (not in anything relevant to navy) and would look to work my way up so this side of the coin is important.
I was told by the afco that as far as he was aware there were 2 crews per boat, and 4 boats, with at least one out at any one time. He said the downside was no foreign jollies (not really fussed) but the upside was excellent money,

Any opinions/advice would be most welcome

thanks

Drakey

War Hero
No guarantee that you will be transferred to submarines. Get the lazy AFCO to pull their finger out and request for an entry date that will guarantee WS(SM). If you join as a submariner it will be impossible to revert to general service whilst at Raleigh.

Harra3

Midshipman
Thanks Drakey,

Seeing as my start date is only 9 days away i will speak to him on monday and see what is possible. With regards to my other questions do you have any ideas?
His reasoning for the ease of transfer to WS(SM) was that according to him they do not have enough volunteers for submariner

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Personally, I think you are doing absolutely the right thing given your age. Bombers do have their perceived down-sides, but others see it as a bonus. You'll know where you'll be months in advance and so can make some decisions. You'll be getting your submarine pay, which is a good wedge! Faslane is what YOU make of it, not what others drip about.

Each boat has two crews, so (for arguments sake) 3 months on patrol, 3 months alongside. Or you might get a boat in refit, which will mean work up and lots of other stuff after plenty of 'time ashore'.

Also, if you already have two degrees, you should be able to get advanced fairly quickly - however, you may also get bored in the job as it may not be stimulating enough for you.

Tell AFCO you want boats NOW!
In training, get your Part 3 done as quickly as possible.
Ask about going SD (officer)

Harra3

Midshipman
Thanks @sonarbender
For me personally, i love the north, im a farmer untill monday week any way, with my family here in cumbria, so faslane would only be a 2-3 hour drive back to the farm.
I was unable to apply as an officer because i am too old. The AFCO did say he would expect me to end up as one via something i believe he refered to as the Upper Yardsmen or something like this any way, although lets not get ahead of ourselves, long way to go before that.
So i didnt quite understand you told me about the 2 crews, if there are two crews spread over each boat that means that you have 8 crews. 4 boats and only 1 out at any time? this would mean you would sail every 8th time a bomber goes out to patrol? Or are they out alot more frequently?

fishhead

War Hero
Thanks @sonarbender
For me personally, i love the north, im a farmer untill monday week any way, with my family here in cumbria, so faslane would only be a 2-3 hour drive back to the farm.
I was unable to apply as an officer because i am too old. The AFCO did say he would expect me to end up as one via something i believe he refered to as the Upper Yardsmen or something like this any way, although lets not get ahead of ourselves, long way to go before that.
So i didnt quite understand you told me about the 2 crews, if there are two crews spread over each boat that means that you have 8 crews. 4 boats and only 1 out at any time? this would mean you would sail every 8th time a bomber goes out to patrol? Or are they out alot more frequently?
The short answer is that not all the boats are operational at the same time. There is one that is currently on a lengthy refit in Devonport dockyard and it is likely to be there for some time yet. The rotation of the patrols between the boats is more irregular than it might seem. The main aim is to have at the very least one boat at sea at any time 365 days per year.

Harra3

Midshipman
cheers fishhead, think i have it cleared up, will call the AFCO on monday to say please put me down as preference for boats, the following monday i am supposed to join, should i ask to reschedule untill i can be down as WS(SM) or just do what he says and tell them when im there id like to go boats, he says its a sure thing that they will let me...... but, then again, their job is just to get you to raleigh, so, maybe its not gonna be quite like that

thanks

Unless a serving bomber queen corrects me, not all 4 boats will be 2 crewed. You will find that the boat in long overhaul in Plymouth has a reduced single crew although the actual numbers will change as the overhaul progresses culminating in a full "gold" crew when it leaves. The gold crew is run on the same principal as an SSN. This means that there are extra people in each role, with the exception of key positions. In theory this means some will not do every patrol and work up period. Wen I left the RN a number of years ago, 2 boats would run as a 2 crew boat (Port and Starboard crews), one would be gold crew and the remaining boat in overhaul. When you are not the on-crew you would provide support to the sea going crew until it departs for work-up/patrol. After this you would take block leave, carry out pre on-crew training specific to your role as well as whole boat based to prepare you as best as possible to take over the boat on its return.

Yes it is good on bombers for being able to organise your life. However your return to port date is only as good as the boat that is to relieve you on patrol. If it has a major defect you could end up remaining at sea for another month or so.

Good luck.

Lemacque

Badgeman
05 (Dev) has just had a supply of fresh JRs straight out of the school. There is a general shortage though, but this is mainly at the senior JR/PO levels I believe, as a lot of people decide its not for them after about 5 years. A lot of kids just don't have the drive to be at sea for extended times without social media/gaming etc.
The money is pretty good, and you can rise through the ranks pretty fast if you commit.