Bomb Disposal Unit Called In To Remove Fireplace Bomb In Pub

Discussion in 'Bases / Shore Est' started by soleil, Jul 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Re: Bomb Disposal Unit Called In To Remove Fireplace Bomb In

So thats what he did after the rugby pundit (ary)?Would have defo given the pub the old 'up and under'.Heard a story from an ATO about being called out by the cops to look at a 'beer keg'some old duffer in a remote farmhouse was using as a seat outside his front door.turns out it was an areal depth charge,fully armed,that had been ditched by a coastal command liberator,low on fuel,trying to get home.the old farmers father had found it on their land, and had it had been a seat,outside the front door for them since. :!:

2. Re: Bomb Disposal Unit Called In To Remove Fireplace Bomb In

Something which baffles me with so many of these instances is why members of the public insist on picking up and carrying these items.

One of the more recent articles on this involved a guy carrying the thing to his van, driving round to the Police Station, parking outside and popping in to the Front Desk to tell the Sergeant he'd brought something round for them in his van .............

3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

4. Re: Bomb Disposal Unit Called In To Remove Fireplace Bomb In

There was a nutter in North Wales a few years back who owned a newsagents in a shopping centre. Hearing a disturbance outside he noticed the Police cordoning-off an area containing an abandoned rucksack with wires sticking out of it, in the process of evacuating the building

This walting prick walked through the tape, said 'I'm bomb disposal' and ripped the bag open. With everyone star-bursting away from it, it turned out to be a false alarm (electricians bag or something). He always wore his blue stable belt where ever he went :roll:

This was the same guy who said that North Wales Police kept a Galil sniper rifle in a helicopter for him, 'for hostage rescue situations' 8O

5. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Re: Bomb Disposal Unit Called In To Remove Fireplace Bomb In

His name wasn't "Deano" by any chance, was it? Or "Raoul" perhaps... :shock:

6. Re: Bomb Disposal Unit Called In To Remove Fireplace Bomb In

Not just members of the public I fear.

Once upon a time, on a submarine far, far away, we had been 'somewhere' there had been a battle, and some of the lads went for a look.

A few days later and we're fast and deep, when someone overhears one baby Pt3 saying to another baby Pt3, do you want to come to the Bomb Shop (also known as the WSC, or, where the weapons are kept and Pt3s sleep) to see the hand grenade I picked up?

Do you hear there, OA **** to the Bomb Shop at the rush, Surfacing now, Surfacing now!

Poor OA had to carry this thing through the boat, up the inside of the fin and drop it in the oggin!!

True dit, no shit!

7. It's funny how attitudes have changed over the years. Before Maxi made it into the sea scouts we used to go to a super beach, but getting there meant crossing a WW2 training range, and beside all the paths accross the range were lottle piles of dud ordnance, mortar bombs mainly. The normal routine was if you found one you added it to one of the piles whci the pongoes came occasionally and disposed of. This was not the blind leading the bliond as Maxcis dad was a part time pongo Lt Col so was supposed to know about such things even if he was a doctor.

Today they would set up exclusion zones etc every time something was exposed as the sands shifted.

8. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I grew up on the edge of Dartmoor and there was an old WW2 training area just up the track from the house I lived in, my brothers and I would regularly go up there picking up the old .303 shell cases and the odd live round, grenade and mortar bombs, we'd throw them at each other or light fires to try and get them to explode..... 8O

Clever little fcukers eh.