Bogus E-Mail

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by R094V1-George, Aug 7, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Space Weather News for August 6, 2006

MARS HOAX: A bogus email is going around the Internet. It claims that
    Mars will be historically close to Earth on August 27, 2006--so close
    that Mars will look as large as the full Moon. This is not true. Here
    are the facts: On August 27th, Mars will be on the other side of the
    solar system, about 385 million kilometers from Earth. The red planet will
    look tiny and dim, nothing like a full Moon.

The "Mars Hoax" email first appeared in 2003. On August 27th of that
    year, Mars really did come historically close to Earth. But the email's
    claim that Mars would rival the Moon was grossly exaggerated. Every
    August since 2003, the email has staged a revival. It's as wrong now as
    it was then.

2. Hardly the most dangerous or offensive hoax in the world though, is it?
  3. I don't care how close mars comes - it's the bl***dy 419 scams from the african continent, and the requests to confirm bank details that pee me off
    Isn't there supposed to some legal thingy about email addresses not being sold on by the companies?
  4. Whitemouse, I am constantly getting financial scams from individuals as far afield as Nigeria and Romania, Italy and the USA, inviting me to invest $20K in a quick get rich scheme. I just delete them. It concerns me more that some of my less financially astute friends contact me asking me if they should invest in these scams.

On the legality - the Police aren't interested unless you've been defrauded. Someone tried it on during my early days on eBay when I became suspicious that the Swede selling his large-format camera suddenly asked me to wire the money to Italy and when I queried this in Swedish, it was obvious he couldn't read Swedish! I went to the police - they didn't want to know.

Your email address becomes available whenever you register for any free websites, etc, unless that site specifically promises confidentiallity and is a bona fide company which can thus be prosecuted. In practice there is little you can do apart from creating aliases which you regularly change - when the volume of junk mail becomes more than a joke!

5. Yes there is - the The Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003 (PECR) - and its surprisingly easy to get action taken against any UK companies that send you emails you haven't specifically requested (although if you've bought stuff off that company, they are allowed to until you ask them to stop).

Basically you fill in this form forward it with the spam email to the Information Commissioner's Office and watch as they get an almighty bollocking, and perhaps a fine. Very satisfying...
  6. The problem is Geoffrey that most of the financial junk, at least, comes from outside the EU's jurisdiction, and even outside the USA. Useful information though. Thanks! :)
  7. Yes we have all had the scams promising riches for feck all. That is all you will get in the end.

Looney woman on the box parted with quarter of a million on the thing she would recieve a load of diamonds from these Africans in Holland. Like the old saying goes"MORE WANTS MORE" many are not happy with there lot and think riches will bring happiness it does pay the bills but there is more to life than a bank full of money.

Best I heard on the scam thing was from this sep bootneck who along with his mates had discovered a vault full of gold coins in Iraq and wanted my help to get it out the country.

I just tell them I am a self made millionaire and need no more money and will they please pass it onto the starving of the world. So hopefully it will eventually get back to me on my meagre pension and incapacity benefit.

Always remember a mars a day helps you work rest and play.
  8. My Mail Filter is set up to autodelete these e-mail scams, on the occasion when it misses the odd one, I reply with:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am sorry I can't help you, I get hundreds of offers like yours and I now have more money than I need and I don't want any more.

Thank You!

Hopefully it pees them off to think they have missed the boat!