Bodybuilding in the Navy?

Never served in the Navy so i will ask is the food good enough to be able to do bodybuilding by any chance?
Simple answer no, as the food will not be what you feel youneed/require/want, and also you will not always have access to a full length mirror.:grin:
If how ever you just want to be fit and functional you'll be fine.

SWS Fag

Lantern Swinger
People manage it on submarines, fair do they won't win mr universe, but some lads get pretty stacked.
You won't get anywhere near enough protein to maintain muscle never mind build it, so you will have to buy protein powder in bulk to take on deployment, as well as tins of fish etc.....

There's always plenty of frozen veg at meal times, and porridge or cereal available for breakfast instead of the greasy fry up.

So you can eat healthy, you just need to supplement your protein really.

Also I know of one mine sweeper that has a weights bench, only because of a shagging dit I heard off one of my skimmer pals. So if one has a bench I'm sure others will too.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

Last edited:
Simple answer no, as the food will not be what you feel youneed/require/want, and also you will not always have access to a full length mirror.:grin:
If how ever you just want to be fit and functional you'll be fine.
There are always ways to supplement your diet on shore drafts Chippy, Chocky, Indian plus many more and Maccy D
Also on shore drafts if the facilities are not there go and find them, at your expense.
We had a power lifter on board (that was power and not shirt, that’s another story)
He did the best he could at sea and went to find gyms wherever we went, the rest of us mere mortals went to see the sights and bright lights.

The armed forces supply the training kit and equipment to keep the service personnel fit to fight and in some cases very fit to fight, but what you need to understand is every gram of muscle you carry above what you need to function in your military role, is sapping away at your energy reserve when you are required to fill that role.

So if you have not joined yet you will need to sort out your priorities Mr Universe or a very fit service man (person) to 2 would not be easy to achieve but saying that I have seen some beefed up muscle bosons in the mob.

If you are a Mr Universe type competitor how would the lack of energy fit in with armed forces when you starve yourself to get rid of essential body fat to get better muscle definition, and how would you tolerate being shipped out at short notice just before a big competition you have spent months training for?

I was it sucks, I was 4 days out across the pond before I was told I had been selected for British and Olympic squad training and selection, it is possible I may have not made the final team, but I will never now, I went to meet Ronny Briggs in Rio instead, and that’s another story. The skipper told me himself in his cabin, he told me they knew before we sailed, so he left it to when it was to far for me to swim ashore. to stop me going on the trot? as if?:neutral: