Boda Kerllll!

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by Waspie, May 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just bin watching the crabs on the History Channel!!

They, (Crabs), just landed a Jaguar on a motorway!! No big deal I agree.

But under a fugging bridge!!!!!! At Speed!!! Crazy.

Quote of the programme though.

When referring to The Buccaneer. What aircraft would replace the Buccaneer when it reaches its end of service life.

Naval advisor; "Another Buccaneer.":laughing2:

2. Like this?

3. Just like that! Fuckin' mad bastards.

4. Poxy Crabs did it once, the Sky Gods (Harriers) did it all the time. When I was doing a stint with the USMC we used to close a road at Camp Lejeune (Lyman Road) and we'd operate off it all day. It was long but not very wide. The video doesn't really demonstrate it very well but as an LSS (Landing Site Supervisor) I'd have to stand in the middle of the road with a radio strapped to my back and chat to the approaching pilot to make sure he was lined up correctly. As he landed I'd then have to walk off the side of the road into the ditch to ensure I didn't get clobbered by his wing (you didn't run as you'd be more likely to trip and get squished). Interesting with a crosswind because you'd get that sorted and then as soon as you descended below the tree line the wind would disappear and you'd have to sort it out all over again.

We did lose one guy who decided to ignore the orders of the LSS (to wave off and then eject) and, instead, went for a ride into the pines of North Carolina. Apart from that it was a fun day out......until they decided it would be MORE fun to do it on NVGs and FLIR (not so much fun with the line up and infra-red lighting) :sleepy2:

5. :angel7:O/K Pontius, all very well and good, about your time in the Sky God.... But much prefer a story from your old and bold instructor, about his time on the Cat and Trap:laughing2: and the old saying it was better than SEX:-D

6. Pontious, did any road surfaces get melted by the jet efflux?

A couple of RN Harriers managed to bore holes into the northern spots at Portland during a visit and before special hardened surfaces where introduced.

7. Waspie,

No, the road was kept relatively flat (for North Carolina) because we never landed vertically on it. By doing a rolling vertical landing (RVL) at 50kts, all the nasty stuff that'll damage the engine is kept behind the intakes and, at the same time, the jet efflux is dispersed enough that it won't dig big holes.

The snag with Portland was it was tarmac and that doesn't (didn't) go too well with Harriers. That's why you'll see all the pads at Yeovilton, Wittering etc are either concrete or metal, in the case of the temporary sort. As you said, tarmac tends to get melted and then once the efflux gets under the surface, it just lifts whole sheets of runway/taxyway.

We started doing RVLs at Portland but on one occasion the 2 seater barely managed to swing off the runway before it went for a swim in the harbour. Luckily there were no whirly-winged things parked on the spots where the Harrier ended up or it would have been more than just embarrassing. After that we stopped landing there and just did low approaches.

Thanks for that link BNM. We often went out to the desert and played with our west coast colleagues at Yuma. They had some brilliant bombing ranges just up the road from them and you could drop all the really good stuff, like BIG bombs, Maverick, FAE etc. East coast didn't have the same facilities but, then again (at the time), we had the II+ and they didn't have the radar birds on the other side of the States. Mind you, I'd take the dry heat of Arizona over the humidity of North Carolina any day.

8. Brilliant :) I imagine it would have been a challenge to fly in 5s. I wonder if the sword got it the way?

9. Pre H&S days I have pics taken in Malaysia of Wessex pilots in white shorts and short sleeved shirts doing rotors running weapon loads.

Oh how the times change.