Bob's State of the Union

Sumo

War Hero
Dam good game of Rugger by England at the weekend, after brexit will this go back to the 4 nations?

fishhead

War Hero
On another thread not far from this one there has been much to-ing and fro-ing on the subject of xenophobia and racism. People who want Brexit are labelled xenophobes and even racist because they don't want unchecked immigration as if that could be the only possible reason. I know that there will always be immigrants to the UK and that they will be made up of people from all ethnic backgrounds. What I don't believe is that the UK has to accept all who want to come here and we have the right to pick and chose who we want. When I use the word "we" I am referring to the UK government and not myself and mates down at the Dog & Duck.
If that makes me a xenophobe(or even a racist) then I am guilty as charged.

Sumo

War Hero
On another thread not far from this one there has been much to-ing and fro-ing on the subject of xenophobia and racism. People who want Brexit are labelled xenophobes and even racist because they don't want unchecked immigration as if that could be the only possible reason. I know that there will always be immigrants to the UK and that they will be made up of people from all ethnic backgrounds. What I don't believe is that the UK has to accept all who want to come here and we have the right to pick and chose who we want. When I use the word "we" I am referring to the UK government and not myself and mates down at the Dog & Duck.
If that makes me a xenophobe(or even a racist) then I am guilty as charged.
You can add the Americans, Canadians & Australians to that, as they all police their boarders with rules as to who can or cannot enter?

On another thread not far from this one there has been much to-ing and fro-ing on the subject of xenophobia and racism. People who want Brexit are labelled xenophobes and even racist because they don't want unchecked immigration...etc...
Reflective head on: A little more to it than that, @fishhead, if you'll allow me a few pennyworth, please... (Others - if this bores you just skip to the cartoon at the bottom...)

On that other thread not far from here (at CA) the OP drew attention to a Petition which gained sufficient Nos to be considered & replied to with a positive response from Westminster. Job Done?

You'd like to think so but (despite being a supposedly 'Serious' Forum') that shebang veered well off track. A seemingly innocent thread served to emphasise discontent with the long expected 'are-we-there-yet? question. It then became dominated by a seeker demanding 'reasons in reading' from those who (having exercised their democratic right to tick the Leave box in an Advisory Ref.) are now to be held 'responsible & to 'own' the dark & uncertain future.

Far better, implied he, to have voted Remain and accept the EU warts & all because the 'benefits' were safer & cheaper than the hits & uncertainties of leaving/loosening ourselves from (IMO) the constricting burdens of an overbearing & one-size-fits-all EU Members Club.

Well-armed with a selection of 'facts' the supposedly 'unsatisfactory replies' received resulted in certain brexiters, like yourself @fishhead, earning labels of '*Ignorance AND Xenophobia'. [ IMO: Over the top, unwarranted & an over-simplication in a quest to understand why the majority placed X in their Leave Box.]

In this instance CA became (particularly when un-moderated) a dangerous ground for debate involving the few regulars and lurkers here at RR. Most of us are generally more accustomed to viewing life in a much lighter vein (Hence the reason for the offering of this general BREXIT thread at DL.)

MOI? Assailed by clip-boarders found hovering at the Polling Station Exits my response ATT was the usual polite smile together with 'awfully sorry chum, but my vote is between me & the Ballot Box'.

WRT to that Referendum & 'fessing-up for the record here rather than at that other thread, my OH & I reached our Leave decisions only after having filtered the propaganda from both camps & discussing the wide range of knowns vs unknowns with our adult offsprings and others). <<EDIT for emphasis

ATT, and I'd like to presume like many others here and elsewhere, we were both aware and accepted that BREXIT would involve a Big Risk and that we & the Country might well have to bear a considerable amount of suffering in the Medium/Long term.

Who could forecast exactly where we'll all be in 10 to 15 years from now? No-one yet, least of all those who forecast/prophesied instant doom as an immediate effect of the Leave result.

Having accepted the risks/rewards of 34 yrs in RN Blue Suits (of all three varieties) then surviving the Risks/Rewards of starting/running/selling a time-intensive service industry business over 20 years has convinced us to have faith that OUT would a far better option than IN for us and for GB & NI as a whole in the long term.

Ignorant? Xenophobic? Sorry, but definitely not applicable for this c/s either, eh @fishhead?

Whilst there is a whole lot more of the vexing BREXIT saga still to unfold so the above thoughts mark the end of further futile backward looking from me.

Perfidious Albion we will doubtlessly be tagged, yet again. As far as all the internal/external knockers are concerned I'm sure there is far more as yet unrealised potential for GB as a whole to cope with those shark infested & uncharted waters and to cope with any crises that may lie ahead.

Bon Courage mes braves, as that wee emperor may have once said.

Brexit? Bring it on!

And Breathe...Rabbit Switch to OFF - No leavers, ditherers or stayers were intentionally harmed during the exposition of these humble Bobservations.

Finally & Changing tack - Just one example but EU/Euro membership hasn't panned out too well for poor old Demetrios & Co. has it?

1549999879760.png

Last edited:

Andy_Cap

War Hero
I always though that with the exit result , the peoples
vote made it clear that they wanted control of the country to be
given back to Parlament.
Looking at whats going on there now , I never realised that none of
then (regardles of which Party ) apparently want the job.