Boats question ?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by fitz, Jun 11, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wasn't sure where to put this but here goes...
    My son's currently in Raleigh, enjoying the process and doing well. He's recently told his mother on the phone that he's considering the submarine service. And that's caused her a lot of concern and me a lot of earache - Hence this thread. We want him to consider quality of life - by all accounts that's a challenge for those on boats. But he's well educated and ambitious and he's been told that he'd move on quicker. Putting the carpet bag away, what is the reality for an ME rate on boats these days ? Appreciate any opinion, thanks.

2. I strongly recommend the book SSN 14 by Ryan Ramsay. A great insight into the modern Submarine Service.

Alternatively, Hunter Killers by Iain Bannatyne is great:

3. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Is the policy not that you join up having already picked your branch and GS/SM?

4. Unfortunately it is his life and career, sit back and enjoy the ride it can get bumpy. Both Boats and Targets can give a good life

5. Like the rest of the Navy the submarine service is screaming out for engineers. Theres a thread on here about the branch and the degree that you can get. Be aware he won't get as many foreign runs ashore as the surface fleet and he will be based in Scotland.

Another plus for boats is that you get more responsibility earlier in your career than surface dwellers.

6. Why did it cause mum to be concerned? He'll get a decent wedge more every month just for being there. If he ends up on bombers, his leave times will be forecast months if not years in advance.

But as already said, it is his gig.......

• Like Like x 1
  7. Whilst he may be considering SM service, has he made his training staff aware. There is no automatic right of passage to serve in submarines. If found suitable and recommended/approved it is a one way ticket for at least 5 years

8. Thanks for the replies. Though it's not something I'd choose I'm sure the service has it's attractions. Few years ago I watched a series about potential captains being put through the mill and it was inspiring stuff. If he did decide to go that way and met the standard I assume everyone wants to get an Astute class draft but what are the best boats for life/job balance? Or is that a contradiction? Thanks.

9. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

fitz, basically there only two types of Boats, SSN or SSBN. SSN are what you probably know as Hunter Killer Submarines, one of their main tasks in wartime would be to take out enemy SSBN's and enemy shipping (think Belgrano in the Falklands war). They also carry Tomahawk type missiles. Another main task is intelligence gathering. They cover the globe and have, often unpredictable programmes, the bits that are known are likely to change at short notice.

SSBN, Trident missile carrying Boats have a regular cycle of patrols (generally) and leave port go out and attempt to remain undetected for the length of the patrol.

Sadly we no longer have Diesel Submarines.

Hope this helps

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Just to add, there is a strong push toward the submarine service at present,,with a £5,000 (pre-tax) joining bounty as they complete SM training (about 12 months in) and about £300 per month extra.

Many recruits are likely to have a submarine brief at their AFCO, again on PRNC and again during Initial Recruit Training.

Bottom line, if not sure, the advice is stick with your chosen branch - once you have a broader appreciation of what it's all about, you have several years during which you can volunteer to join the submarine service.

Once you volunteer for boats, there's usually a 5 year return of service before you can switch back to general service. In truth, not many do switch back as they enjoy the job and the money.

11. Ninja job satisfaction, wife spent the money:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yep, I can relate to that.

13. Thanks Janner, life on the bombers sounds a little dull. Been reading the excerpts on the Falklands - riveting.
    Ha, Sumo, I've got one of those too.
    Yes Ninja, there seems to be a push alright and I also think he should get in first and get some experience under his belt. Down the line if it still appeals he can go for it then. Again, much obliged gents.
    His pass-out is Friday. We're feeling very proud.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  14. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

As an ME he won't be doing that sort of thing (PERISHER), but as a Senior Rate with a Kettle Ticket, he will earn about as much as his own CO anyway (correct me if I'm wrong Dark Siders), and when he leaves will be able to earn £70k a year watching dials at Dungeness. Congratulations, your son may just have won first prize in the Lottery of Life.

Meanwhile his wife may well be going apeshit with the Credit Cards in Cascades, as Ninja alludes...:)

• Like Like x 1

15. A lot of my Woo mates are moving across to stoker, can be that hard as Stokers don't tend to go AE ;)

16. The stokers have notices the lack of coal bunkers and steam genies of WAFU craft?

17. A step too far I suppose, the 21st century ;)

18. That's because they want to actually be in engineering :)

19. The 8 hours maintenance per flying hour doesn't do itself, old chap ;)

20. We used to dream of only doing 8 hours, 6 people to one smally petrol engine sounds like hell though ;)