Boarding Parties

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by Nutty, Nov 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OK you OD's forget your high powered ribs, IPods, helicopters, three in one whalers this is how it was done in the Man's Navy.

Big Boat, Big Oars, the cutlasses are in the stern sheets.

[​IMG]

Nutty

2. Along with the skippers Water Skis.

3. How did you cope with the invention of the internal combustion engine, Nutty?

4. It was a very nasty shock, but with his indomitable perserverance Nutty like all good submariners coped and came to see the benefits.

5. Nutty, you forgot to mention the flint lock pistols. :thumright:

6. Is that Cox'n wearing boots & gaiters ?

I remember many of these 'exercises' at the Gspot - didn't mind the lowering of the whaler, the pulling or the sailing of them, but getting the b*****s back up into the stays..... o_O

7. Are you the whimp starboard side wearng gloves Nutty?????

8. Streaky/Maxi

It was the steam in Boats I had a problem with both K Class and SSN.

Whitemouse

Yes the Cox'n A/Petty Officer Bill Shortland is wearing Boots and Gaiters. He was sent to Ganges from being SNOWI's Coxswain. We never found out why. Very old school would dhobi his No.3's out every night in a bucket. Great Instructor v/good to his lads. Also that is no 27 ft whaler its a 36 ft. cutter wider deeper and twice the weight.

Exile

I am not in the boat they are all our other class Drake 39 Mess Classes 37 and 38 1961/2. The TROG in gloves is Robin H-ghes a baby jack dusty.

Nutty

PS Crabman I always liked the Sten/Lanchester

9. Obviously Robin is keeping his hands protected for all the ledgers he would be dealing with after G spot (just like me ..!!)

I always did confuse cutters & whalers.

Incidentally, I was there in 62/3, G23 Mess 49 recruitment, had a Coxn as Class Inst in the Annex.

:)

10. Nutty

PS Crabman I always liked the Sten/Lanchester[/quote]

Nutty you are the only person who ever admitted to me that he liked either of those. Perhaps that's why the Sten was referred to as the "stench gun". I fired the Sten once and was not overly impressed.
    Still, to each and every man his own preference.

PS Nice picture, all those happy smiling (well some of them) matelots.
    Not really posed of course.

11. Nutty you are the only person who ever admitted to me that he liked either of those. Perhaps that's why the Sten was referred to as the "stench gun". I fired the Sten once and was not overly impressed.
    Still, to each and every man his own preference.

PS Nice picture, all those happy smiling (well some of them) matelots.
    Not really posed of course.[/quote]

Crabman the sten comment was a bit tongue in cheek. I rarely went near a gun. Possibly because a Matelot with a gun not bolted to the deck is the second most dangerous animal in the world. The first being an Army Officer with a Map.

The pic was taken a the cutters were going out for inter class races. Only the look round your oars lads was posed.

NUtty

12. Crabman the sten comment was a bit tongue in cheek. I rarely went near a gun. Possibly because a Matelot with a gun not bolted to the deck is the second most dangerous animal in the world. The first being an Army Officer with a Map.

NUtty[/quote]

The most dangerous animal in the world? How's about an RAF officer with a map or a rifle? Believe me a truly fearsome sight.

If your statement about the Sten was a bit tongue in cheek, could it be that you really prefer the old muzzle loading canons of centuries gone by. :w00t:

Am now sheltering in my concrete bunker.

13. Only once while in the navy did I have to fire a gun, that was on the range at Colligwood. We were allowed one bullet from a Bren or a Sten gun(not sure which) and another bullet from another kind of gun. I'm sorry I don't do guns. The picture brought back memories of a day rowing round Pompey Harbour in a whaler, after climbing the mast and passing the swimming test at St Vincent. Happy Days.

14. same here yorkie,Iwas a St Vincent boy too happy days indeed.Brings a tear to my eye when I pass the gate now whenever Ivisit Dolphin and the museum. We all felt like real sailors then pulling them old 3in 1 whalers and cutters up and down pompey harbour.Brilliant photo Nutty brought back many happy memories.

UP SPIRITS.....................SPICEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRS!!!!

15. Talking of sten guns and other such bang bang sticks, I remember steaming up the irish sea on one boat when the dabtoes had the opportunity to have a shoot off from the casing,a trio of oil cans were put over the side and the jolly tars let rip with the sterlings we had onboard,one of the bastards jammed and the OD turned round pointed the nasty end at the bridge where yours truly was lookout,then the inevitable, the fcukin bang stick went off raked the front of the bridge causing said lookout and oow. to piss pants.Never liked those bloody things since.

UP SPIRITS...........SPLICEEEEEEEEEEEEEERS!!

16. To pass the time away, when not intercepting the baddies trying to get past us (CherryB) on the Beira patrol, the GI (one Herbie Lott) onboard kindly allowed the S&S to shoot a few rounds of with smg, rifle and pistols at a few gash oildrums, as a couple of us were part of the IS Platoon/Boarding Party.
    We also had a go with the 20mil (?) - quite impressive to see the tracer bounce off the surface of the sea.

17. Ah those happy days of the Beira patrol. We did a few of those, but Guns had a natty litte thing that fired empty beer cans as targets.

One of our better pastimes was shark fishing, hooks were fashioned from the old stevadores cargo hooks and we used the bathy winch to pull them in. We caught quite a few that way.

18. Never did the shark fishing (not into fishing at all), but I have a phot somewhere of one having been caught (I'll have to scan and add it to the site). The Garfish (?) with the long razortoothed beaks were frightening enough.

The stokers onboard were using steel rod (from the stores) to fashion hooks, as well as brass to make smalley cannon barrels etc ..

I did manage to walk into a dead shark, that was hanging at the stern next to the array) one darken ship night when attempting to ditch gash - fortunately I was wearing No10 Blue shorts and not whites at the time ;) !!

As you say, Happy days, especially when chasing the cruise ships to pass over mail - very exciting for the tourists to see a warship thundering up to them !!

19. So if you were on a boarding party and had a fag in your gob and your obligitory I.Pod what one track would you listen to.

Me "I Need a Hero" By Bonnie Tyler

Just to keep me safe.

Nutty

20. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nutty,

I never thought that one day I could take part in a cyberspace Fleet Regatta.
    Twice round the Outer Spit buoy, and back in time for brekkies.
    Go.

Jerry

(Picturers courtesy of Mr Fisk, Ganges 1955)