BNP/Polish Spitfire...should have done their reasearch

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by WhizzbangDai, Mar 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "But Air Force history experts have identified that the aircraft was actually flown by the
    RAF’s 303 Squadron – made up of expatriate Poles rescued from France shortly before Nazi occupation."

That to me says the squadron was RAF with Poles attached! Although I am not defending the BNP.

2. The Polish RAF squadrons were made up entirely of Poles, with the exception that the senior officers and instructors were British.

3. Was it not an RAF Squadron, Not a Polish Airforce Squadron. Typical Daily Mail, I think. Prob had Fleet Air Pilots as well, but the Royal Fair Force forget's to mention them during wings day, battle of Britian etc.

"Stop" sorry gone into anti crab mode again!!!!

4. Lol.

I see what you mean, "Polish spitfire". It was a British spitfire, belonging to the RAF, flown by Polish pilots (maybe). Still, never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

5. Surely the real point is that Mr grifin has the right to spout his racist propoganda because Poles made their way to Britain to help in the fight against his hero.

Having been brought up in part of the country whcih was defended at least in part by Polish Airforce squadrons, and having gone to school with some of those pilots sons, I am convinced grifin has cocked it up again.

6. It was an RAF squadron, but formed in agreement with the Polish government-in-exile; RAF squadrons of this nature were referred to as Polish or Czech squadrons etc - even in their official title - which in this case was No. 303 (Polish) Squadron. It was a concession to the fact that they were formed from members of a foreign air force. It was not an RAF squadron 'with Poles attached'; it was an RAF Polish squadron formed in special agreement with the Polish government. Despite becoming part of the RAF the pilots remained part of the Polish Armed Forces as well.

As another aside, on the geeky point - the Spitfire shown isn't from the Battle of Britain; it's a later type, possibly a Mk Vb or later due to the cannons so they couldn't even get that right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._303_Polish_Fighter_Squadron

7. Er, I don't see how they're wrong. It made in Britain, but was a Spitfire operated by a Polish squadron of the Royal Air Force whose members remained members of the Polish Armed Forces and existed only because of the agreement of the Polish Government in Exile.

The Mail is pretty much spot on. Hence the name: RAF No. 303 "Kościuszko" Polish Fighter Squadron. It's a Polish Spitfire in that sense.

8. Many of the 300 and 400 number series squadrons were specifically formed for and manned by refugees from occupied Europe. They were RAF. There were, notably, French, Polish, Czech, Dutch and Norwegian squadrons formed; in the same way as there were for Americans beore their was started.

It does look like a BNP home goal, though. There's a very good documentary running on BBC 3 about Nick G's American relatives.

9. They were RAF squadrons but only under special terms of agreement with respective governments in exile.

The squadrons did not owe their allegiance to the British Empire but to their governments in exile who had agreed to allow them to operate within the RAF chain of command.

From wikipedia:

On August 5, 1940, the British government finally accepted the Polish Air Force as a sovereign, allied military formation. From then on the airmen were part of the Polish Army, flying their own standards and wearing British uniforms but with Polish rank insignia. Although still subordinate to British command, the Polish units were directly subordinate to a Polish inspector of the Air Forces, who in turn was responsible to the Polish government.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_Air_Forces_in_France_and_Great_Britain

10. Only RR could take a story bashing the BNP, where it should be applauded and begin immediatly to argue amongst themselves, and mock anything to do with it. :D

I love this site :lol:

11. Despite being in the argument myself I agree - only this site could put me in the position of defending the Daily Mail, whose story is - for once - correct!

12. Thats always been the problem with the Wail, one true story hidden in a bunch of made up rubbish has always damaged the impactt they really should have.

13. There's nothing geeky in having an interest in things that go buzz, whirr, click or even bang. Engaging spotter mode, the BNP picked an easy find; the BBMF Spit 5B, AB910 (famed for taking a startled WAAF airborne, clinging for dear life to its tale).

http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/theaircraft/spitfireab910.cfm

[​IMG]

14. Are we being infiltrated by crabs? :wink:

15. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

[Source]

At least they've dropped the racism. :lol: :roll: :lol:

16. Whilst the Polish squadrons fought on our side, it should also be remembered, that we declared war on Germany because they had invaded Poland.

17. It'd explain the Cornwall incident, right? It was a Friday after all. :wink:

18. Yep.

One of Churchill's big regrets at the end of the war - that despite entering it over Polish sovereignty we ended up unable to stop the Russians shafting them instead.

19. What ever makes you think that?