BMI

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by werqpr, Oct 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all just wondering if anyone knows what my BMI would have to be to join up? I'm 6'2" and 16 St so I think my BMI says I'm FAT!!! but in what range would it be to pass the medical??? Thanks

2. 30.5 is (from speaking to AFCO Doctors) the highest you can be, assuming they consider letting you into the +25% section, which is for people who carry a lot of muscle mass, or generally just have a larger build.

It all depends on what build type they consider you to be as well, small, medium or large.

To give you can example, someone who is 173cm tall, can weight a maximum of 91kg assuming he has a large build (Taken from the chart the AFCO Doctors go by btw, this is also the +25%).

30 is actually pretty high anyway, you should be below 25 ideally.

It is worth just calling them though, its in plain black and white and they have all the information with regards to BMI.

3. Thans lads them 2 posts really were a great help, thanfully I'm with in 30.5, but still gonna look to shift the rest of my excess weight before/if I get in, the main reasson being I LOVE getting fit :)

4. Good luck, get below 25, you're hovering between 27/28 at the moment.

5. Not true, I had my medical a couple of months ago and had a BMI of 28.19 and was classed TMU. Was told to lose 5 kg and come back when I'd lost it. Went back after a month with BMI of 27.5 and was accepted. So get under 28 and you'll be fine. And some Docs dont take into account the fact you may have a muscular build. I play rugby, am built like a brick shithouse and have a bodyfat level of 12%.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Correct, for the large-framed muscularly built individuals, 28 is the upper permissable discretionary limit.

7. No, no, no.

TheAaronP cannot be wrong surely?

8. If you were 28.19 and classed as TMU then two things happened, 1) you weren't classed as 'Large' frame, and 2) it is possible that they did not allow you to be classed in the +25%.

I have a copy of the sheet (which has all the values etc) here if anyone would like a copy.

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It's OK, I'll ask the Senior Medical Officer to change it. :thumright: