Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

BMI

Sophie

Midshipman
I was just wondering how strict the RN is on applicant's BMI's during the medical...

I went into the AFCO last April looking to apply and was told that applicants wouldn't be passed through the pre-joining medical if they were over their recommended BMI - fair enough, totally understand why

So I went away and started to diet and train, and have to date lost 3 stone. I still have a bit of a way to go but am very focused and strict with what I eat/drink.
But, especially with waiting times for branches being so long, I'm itching to get going with my application...

So how close do I realistically need to be when I apply? If I'm still over my recommended BMI (I'm a rugby girl so carry a fair amount of muscle) will they take into consideration that I've lost a lot of weight and pass me through, or send me away to lose more weight and be bang on the numbers?

Soph

Well done on achieving what you have already- good effort!

Generally your Medical Officer should give you a target weight, rather than BMI, as this will indicate the maximum permissable weight which he/she is prepared to pass you fit. The BMI, covers a range of acceptable upper & lower masses.

Your best bet is to ring the AFCO & ask to book an "update medical" to ascertain your target weight, then there is no room for error. Your ultimate aim being to end up mid-point on the BMI scale.

Good Luck.

Thanks NS... I think I'll keep plugging away until the new year and then get myself back up to the AFCO to see where I stand and what more I can do... christmas is gonna be a cheap one with the limited amounts of food and alcohol I'll be consuming!

Sophie,You say that you have muscles and your a rugby girl,are you from rugby or do you look like a ferkin rugby or do you play rugby,?i think your very brave for posting those details on here,i await with baited breath your reply, :wink:

NorwayChris said:
Sophie,You say that you have muscles and your a rugby girl,are you from rugby or do you look like a ferkin rugby or do you play rugby,?i think your very brave for posting those details on here,i await with baited breath your reply, :wink:

Diclaimer: The party of the first part: hitherto 'NorwayChris' cannot in any circumstance be vindicated through the receival of prompt response and all recursive communicae herein be limited to that which is ordained 'acceptable' by the party on second part. Should the party in the first part obtain reprise or altercation through an act of the party on the second part excluding those of a sexual nature, the party of the first part shall therefore acknowledge their legal obligation to relinquish, abnegate and outright resignation of pursual of the party of the second part, as acts of compensation for untoward behaviour. :D :D :D

Chris, ease off a bit shipmate. You're supposed to build up a rapoire with the lady Newbies and give positive advice.. When they have been on the forums and realise that there do indeed exist some matelot stalwarts whose reputation preceeds them.... then you pounce! :wink:

Positive advice. The NHS has a BMI index which individuals can use to see where they are on the BMI scale. This will show you how much you need to do and will give advice.
Angry Doc is the authority on PULHEEMS standards on this site and is an approachable guy, given his advice to others. Best of luck and keep at it, it will be worth it.

But i thought we all agreed that the "Brace yaself lassie" was the best introduction, :D i could have come straight out and said "are you a ferkin bloater " but i didnt did i,credit where credits due shippers, :wink:

NorwayChris said:
But i thought we all agreed that the "Brace yaself lassie" was the best introduction, :D i could have come straight out and said "are you a ferkin bloater " but i didnt did i,credit where credits due shippers, :wink:

Percy09 has noticed that the post is two years old, I failed to notice as did others, we shipmates are getting complacent in our advancing years..
Plan of attack.. Did she manage to get in, or does she now trawl after matelots. If so shippers fill your boots.

Given your batting history Chris, I think that your previous post, on reflection, was refined,succinct, and subtle beyond belief. You are indeed a credit to the Gunnery Branch, and I apologise unreservedly for not acknowledging that fact. :D Now about that free timeshare holiday in Spain? :wink: