Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BMI

lozza1972

Midshipman
Hi can any one help or advise. My son has just returned from PRNC and pleased to say he passed everything with good times on the run and swim. It has now come to light that there may be a problem with his BMI being too high.. we are away on holiday at the min and he’s ran every day and eaten clean. I just don’t want him turning up at Raleigh in 13 days and him being sent home. This has never been an issue at his medical. Please can someone advise cheers

soleil

War Hero
Hi can any one help or advise. My son has just returned from PRNC and pleased to say he passed everything with good times on the run and swim. It has now come to light that there may be a problem with his BMI being too high.. we are away on holiday at the min and he’s ran every day and eaten clean. I just don’t want him turning up at Raleigh in 13 days and him being sent home. This has never been an issue at his medical. Please can someone advise cheers

Can you give his weight and height pls, Lozza?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
He will have been given a specific target to reach prior to entry, whilst on PRNC and also advised what happens if he does not meet the specified target.

Those significanty over a bmi of 28, with a waist measurement around the belly in excess of 93-cms will have their entry date deferred and advised accordingly whilst on PRNC.

Those realistically able to meet the entry criteria without deferring the original entry date will have been given precise details on what they must do to avoid being sent home upon arrival.

Whilst it may not have been an issue at the original medical, it is not unknown for candidates to put on 5 or 6 stone after passing the pjft, prior to entry unfortunately but, for all its faults, the bmi scale is the standard applied for entry despite the fact that people may play Rugby at a high standard or be a body-builder of repute.

From the stats provided, it sounds achievable if he keeps the phys going, eats frugally, doesn't take supplements of any description, drinks water in abundance, ditches any form of weightlifting and skips alcohol completely.

Worst case scenario? Sent home, rejoins when comfortably within the entry standard required.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C BMI scores Joining the Royal Navy 4
R Royal Marines BMI/weight question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
B BMI for rejoin... UPO/Careers Office 7
P Medical and BMI Health & Fitness 6
R Medical and BMI Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
M Rejected because of high BMI Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 3
Cheeese HMS Raleigh - BMI? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
N BMI below 25? RFA 33
S Royal Navy Medical - BMI Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
H Muscular/Athletic physiques and high BMI? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
J BMI slightly too low.. TMU? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
A Will I be sent home if my bmi is over? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
G Age 15 BMI of 18, will I fail medical? Health & Fitness 7
A BMI Requirement Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
A Medical - BMI Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
A BMI Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
Stirling BMI. Health & Fitness 10
N At what point does a low BMI start to cause problems? Health & Fitness 8
S Question about BMI & Fitness - Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
M BMI and pre join medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
B BMI and keyhole surgery Health & Fitness 6
B BMI hadnt even crossed my mind for medical? Health & Fitness 52