BMI and keyhole surgery

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by BEARCHIEF, May 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey everyone, I have my RN medical coming up soon and just got a couple of questions:

1) BMI - how strict is it that your in the normal range? at the moment mine is 31.4 BUT im a front row rugby player, who runs 3x a week and cycles 3x a week, I have also lost 10kgs since 1st of jan, and plan to lose another 5kgs....I'm fit!

2) also had keyhole surgery on my shoulder in october, its perfectly fine now 100% range of movement and its strong, I know it says on the official notes that you cant apply within 12 months of surgery, is keyhole included in this? can it be waived?

Im applying for a cadetship which means i wont start active training etc for at least another 3 years, is this taken into account with the medical?

thanks for your help

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  2. If anyones interested, I failed my medical due to BMI, I need to lose another 10kgs, to reach target weight of 85kgs,

BMI guidelines:

22-25 fine
    25-28 with a waistline less than 98cm
    28+ with a waistline of less than 94cm,

I think these are correct, if anyone else could verify?
  3. ------------------------------------------------------------

Your own AFCO? Or is he/she on Steroids, too?? :-| :sleepy2:
  4. Keyhole surgery does count, but your suitability for service depends on what was actually done and whether you are still under orthopaedic review. Lots of these procedures can cause probs in later life or need redone later - if so then you won't pass the medical.

Feel free to PM me or post more details.

5. shoulder was an anterior dislocation, with a hills-sach lesion, the labrum tore slightly and needed 3stitches to tighten back up again, the Dr for my medical passed it as fine although he wasnt RN,

He also mentioned about appealing the BMI decision to a RN Dr? Is the medical just the same or are there extra tests?

cheers angry doc

6. It's not generally the procedure that causes problems later on. Whether it is a fully adequate or appropriate method to deal with a particular injury and minimise future consequential disorders is the crux. No procedure will produce a 100% fix and the unpredictability of a recurrence or an associated problem is probably too much of a risk for the Andrew or the other services to invest considerable time and sums of money in training you. I'm afraid the method of surgery, laparoscopic or open, has little bearing on how shoulder injuries are viewed in this context.
    Last edited: May 15, 2011
  7. You should have been referred for assessment by an occupational physician or an orthopaedic surgeon. Your shoulder needs a good going over to make sure it is fully functional and isn't going to dislocate or sublux again.