BMI and Eyesight for URNU

Discussion in 'SCC and URNU' started by FlatlandDan, Jun 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'd like to apply for the URNU next September, but I'm worried about both my eyesight and BMI. The information out there seems to be really general about what the medical actually is.

Eyesight is crap. I've got -5 in one eye and -5.5 in the other. Wear 24/7 contacts and have never had a problem with them. I'd fail every single eyesight test without my lenses in. This isn't really anything I can change so if it disqualifies me then I'll worry less about issue #2.

My BMI is 26.5. I understand my BMI should be under 25 but in case the weight doesn't shift is this going to cause me to fail as well? I run and swim a fair bit and walk everywhere (usually with a full backpack ;)) so I wouldn't consider myself unfit.

2. Which Unit would you be looking to join?
    I know that at my unit there are some people that didn't quite make the garde medically, but the boss has a bit of leeway if he thinks you'll be an asset to the unit, if you have any doubts get in touch with the unit you want to jin soonest, i know our coxswain is always happy to hear about people who are interested.
    BMI wise there are people in the urnu who who are classed as obese, you are just classed as overweight, and if you rally want to do something about it, the only thing stopping you is yourself, and theres no bettertime than now because i can garantee that you'll gain weight once you get the hang of how to feed yourself (and the drinking so inextricably linked with urnu life won't help either)

If you're serious about getting in read about current affairs and be friendly at the introduction evenings, in some units such as wales students have some say about who gets selected
  3. As luck would have it, it's Wales I'm wanting to join :thumright:

I've always been fairly fit, but I've spent the last year as a desk job and the weight just crept up. I'm actually on the older side of university life so I've got the whole drinking and cooking thing sorted (ex-chef). I'll pick up on the running and swimming though over the summer and hopefully I'll have that BMI down when I join up.

I'm moving to Cardiff in a few weeks so I'll get in touch with them then. Any tips on what to read to get up to date? I read about four newspapers online a day so I'm fairly good on current affairs. I've noticed some navy magazines at Smiths that I'll start picking up.

Cheers for the speedy answer!
  4. In terms of what you need to read/do for your interview, you needn't bother with expensive subscriptions to (probably) useless magazines.

I think the paper reading your doing online will be sufficient in the way of civilian news (assuming you're reading from at least 2 tabloid sites).

In terms of RN material, if you go to the RN website (Google it if you don't know it) there is a service there called "RN Live" which gives you all you need to know and more on the RN on a day-to-day basis. Perhaps the month of your interview you could also buy a copy of Navy News to suppliment your knowledge.

Remember in the interview you can be as navy-wise as you want (ex-cadet, cadet staff, navy geek etc...) or you can be as clueless as you like... the thing their looking for is your desire to learn something new. If you've been a cadet or something and know everything there is to know, then from the point of view of an URNU OiC what is the point in having you, as you're not going to learn/gain anything from your time?

You need to show through the interview that you:

1. Want to learn
    2. Will be an asset to the unit
    3. Will be socially sufficient to fit-in
    4. You will be keen
    5. You will be reliable
    6. They're not going to waste a valuable place giving you a chance.

Also remember with all interviews that the military people involved will be asking themselves if they would be happy to serve with you!

Finally, there is usually an MEC member at the interviews (Military Education Committee) so be sure before you go that you can hack a degree and the URNU commitments, and ensure that you are able to convince them that you have researched this issue thoroughly.

Also remember the general interview tips:

1. Be appropriately dressed (your smartest suite and nicest tie, shiny shoes)
    2. Be five minutes early
    3. Address interviewers as Sir/Ma'am
    4. Don't sit down before you are invited to
    5. Give a firm handshake
    6. Be informed on current affairs (see above)
    7. Try to come accross as confident but not cocky.
    8. NEVER LIE (you will always be caught out)
    9. Know the position you're applying for

And my final piece of advice is learn as much about the URNU as you can, read booklets, talk to student, read forum items, use wikipedia, look up the P2000 info in RN books/magazines. Know what the URNU missions tatement is, know what will be available to you. Learn why you want to do it, and what you hope it will help you achieve. No URNU OiC will want someone on the team who thinks that the URNU is a yachting club, or who thinks that URNU membership gives you the right to automatic officer entry in the RN/R, they want to see that the candidates know what they want, and want it for the right reasons.

It's a lot of info to take in, but it will honestly serve you well!

If you have any more questions, feel absolutely free to send them my way! - Good luck!
  5. I have my interview on Monday and I just thought I would poke my head back into this thread to thank you for your advice. I'll be sure to follow it :)
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As an ex-URNU Coxswain (2i/c) it's probably worth pointing out that URNU medical standards are somewhat relaxed in relation to regular service medical standards for entry & if you are passed fit for URNU, but would be classed unfit for regular service, you will be informed accordingly of the fact.

The reason for the lower medical standards for entry are quite simply that the URNU is there to educate, not recruit so to keep the parameters as broad as possible, the medical officer has some leeway to encourage the most diverse membership possible.

It is important that those joining the URNU are aware that a medical pass & interview pass are in no way valid for regular Officer entry, which has much more stringent entry standards.

The URNU is very much a University society that educates, offers financial & social rewards, is thoroughly enjoyable & gives an excellent insight into the workings of the Royal Navy. Good luck to all undergoing selection.
  7. Can someone help this colonial what is URNU?

Ninja_Stoker wrote:
    As an ex-URNU Coxswain (2i/c) it's probably worth pointing out that URNU medical standards are somewhat relaxed in relation to regular service medical standards for entry & if you are passed fit for URNU, but would be classed unfit for regular service, you will be informed accordingly of the fact.

I thought that would be the case a relaxed Med.
  8. Thanks for that, down here we just have Army Units in University.
  9. Ninja

Totally off topic and just out of interest, how much does the RN benefit from the URNUs in respect of members going on to serve in the Andrew? I seem to remember a discussion about the CCF once and how for all the money that is pumped into it the actual amount of recuritment is very low. Is this the same for the URNUs?

Edited for mongness in going off topic
  10. Ninja_Stoker

The "average URNU" has 53 students & recruits 17 new entrants each year to each URNU, due to a corresponding "outflow" of graduates. Obviously with the introduction of the 4 year Masters Degree packages & medical, 5 year Degrees, the numbers required at individual units do fluctuate.

On average, last time I looked, each of the 14 URNUs, churns out about 2 successful Officer entrants per year. This does vary as some units have many more joining than this, but likewise some have none.

Again, it's not part of the Recruiting budget, nor part of the mission statement, so whilst you could interpret the average input of 28 Officers in relation to the annual cost of the URNUs & P2000s, it would not be an accurate reflection of their actual function or worth.

Before the question is asked, from the recruiting budget, it costs on average (very roughly) £7000 to recruit the average matelot. We're by far the cheapest of the 3 services, incidentally.
  11. Just a little update to say that I made it in....kinda. I got in as an associate, which is a sort of back up for if people drop out or fail their medicals. I've been reassured by others that last year all four associates were in by Easter. In the mean time, I get to join in on the frankly epic socials and do all the training nights.

No pay. No uniform. And saddest of all, no time at sea. I feel a bit like a rabbit with a carrot two feet in front of me. Fingers crossed up higher up on the list!
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Be glad you're not a rabbit with a carrot on the end of one foot behind you.

Best of luck- stick with it, some may fall by the wayside enabling you to join fully.
  13. No worries mate, loads of the keenest people start out as associates. In fact London URNUS current SMid started out as an associate. People fail medicals, take years abroad, lose intrest, switch universitys and medical students become sponsered and subsequently lose their URNU commision.
    Hang on in there and take advantage of the social events, If a place comes up associates that pitch in will get priority!