Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Blue Liners

I have vague memories of blueliners being hald a crown a hundred when I joined in 64. I would concur they were not good for the throat and I ended up smoking a pipe much of the time.

Pussers good pipe tobacco in the 1 ounce tins was pretty good.

Peter

sledgehammer said:
Stirling;
Me thinks you right first time. 600 a month, had to give them away, not enough lung to smoke the lot. Where the **** did the stamps come from? I don't remember any stamps. Can't say I miss them, new year resolution last January. Did it in one go, pity about the weight but will get it down.

Trust me - I was a Dusty, only 300 ( 3 Red Stamps) were issued per month for Blue Liners in UK.

If it was 600 (6 Blue Stamps) it was any other make (sold by the Can Man) on ships in the Med etc. In Home waters it was 500 (5 Blue Stamps), further east it was no stamps at all, because you could buy all you liked.

:)

jossman said:
Blue Liners came in silver foil packs of 100, one for each stamp (coupon). 300 being the monthly maximum whilst ashore. These were made for Pusser by Sobrane or British Associated Tobaccoes. They carried the blue line down the length of the cigarette with the words H.M. Ships only. On crossing the 12 mile excise barrier when at sea, your allowance changed to 600 per month with a different stamp (coupon) of any chosen brand purchased through the NAAFI Canteen onboard. Blue Liner stamps (coupon) were maroon but changed colours at the end of the enforceable month and DF always Light Blue.
Night leave was 25 cigarettes enforcable by the Reg Staff on leaving the ship or the MOD Police on passing through the dockyard gate. Many regulators turned a blind eye but the Modplod did not.

Long Leave of 7 days or more was 200 cigarettes, no matter what the length of leave.

The cigarettes came in packets of 20. Unfortunately I cannot remember the weight of tobacco allowed, time has faded my memory.

Pusser was very good to the lads in my time giving them rum, beer at cheap prices and smokes at 2/6d per 100. :wink:

Jack trying to smuggle fags through the dockyard gate, was a valuable source of fags for the modplod as I never once saw any returned for confiscation. :roll:

Got stopped by modplod leaving Faslane - over my allowance by 15 fags (packed in a hurry as been duty the night before (my mate was carrying 200 for me though so no shortage on leave)) offered to take them back to my Office/accom explaining that it was accidental as I had been in a hurry and 15 were in my jacket from last run ashore, Plod did not confiscate but made me destroy them one by one - typical little hitler!

I thought they were made by Gallagher's,they used to have G.Ltd on the back as i remember.They were still shite though!

I recall one of our ABs getting stopped by MOD Plod going weekenders through Portland, during BOST. Friday after secure, no Reggies on board, so MOD Plod took his 600 fags, returned him on board, handed him over to the OOD, annotated the Daily Occurrence Book accordingly, and permitted him to continue with his weekend leave.

Aforementioned AB then walked back down below to the Mess, opened his locker, placed another 600 fags in his grip, and walked back out of the Main Gate ("They've stopped me once already; they're not likely to stop me again!")

...and yes, he did get away with it! :lol:

whitemouse said:
stirling said:
When did the issue stop?...we had 600 a month for 8/- in the 60's, or the equivilant in rolling/pipe tobacco. 8/-, 40p in todays money would only buy 2tabs !!.

3 Red stamps = 300 plain / Filter ciggies
or
3/4 lb Pipe tobacco
or
3/4 lb Cigarette tobacco

If you were on 600 per month, you were probably on Blue stamps - or you had an oppo who was a Dusty, unless you were one yourself ?

As for costs, they changed over the years, and the issues must have ended after the late 70s because I was still selling them through slops when I left in 79.
I didn't indulge in the weed myself, but used my own stamps (don't troop me, please Joss !!) to cover any shortfalls in the stock which was always seemed to be the case despite the care taken in stocktakes..!!

:)

When I first started rolling me own with 'tickler' the tins were 4 oz round tins and the lid had a catch on on it that cut the top seal --three tins a month.
saw one on ebay a while ago--memories!!
Then they went to the two ounce flat rectangular------six tins for three coupons ashore.
On a boat when they changed the tins to 50 grmms you used to get 13 tins with six coupons .

As for getting them ashore-----you could get 120 fags passed the dockyard gate by putting three 20 packs in each sock -------with bell bottoms it was easy.[thats the days before you could wear civvies ashore!]
I think aswell the dockyard cops couldn't do body searches unless they had someone from onboard as witness.
They always checked your holdall :lol: :lol:

We used to hide a few extra ciggies under the 2 bits of material on your cap at Dolphin2,they never did catch on.

They stopped after aJuly 91 as i went to slops in Raleigh as a fresh sprog & purchaced the Pusser finest..COUGH..COUGH..SPLUTTER!!! :)

sgtpepperband said:
I recall one of our ABs getting stopped by MOD Plod going weekenders through Portland, during BOST. Friday after secure, no Reggies on board, so MOD Plod took his 600 fags, returned him on board, handed him over to the OOD, annotated the Daily Occurrence Book accordingly, and permitted him to continue with his weekend leave.

Aforementioned AB then walked back down below to the Mess, opened his locker, placed another 600 fags in his grip, and walked back out of the Main Gate ("They've stopped me once already; they're not likely to stop me again!")

...and yes, he did get away with it! :lol:

He must have been fxxxxxxxxxxxg mad , I'm the sort of bloke that looks guilty even if I'm innocent , can't help it , just the way I am ,

Latest Threads