Blue Liners

stirling2

Banned
When did the issue stop?...we had 600 a month for 8/- in the 60's, or the equivilant in rolling/pipe tobacco. 8/-, 40p in todays money would only buy 2tabs today !!.

I used to keep some in my locker for emergencies only when I was at Coulport in '89.

£5.00/100 if memory serves me.

I remember them at £1.00/100 in '78 when I joined.

dondon

MIA
Emergency use only , awful fxxxxxxxxxxg things, gave up the fags 2-1/2 years ago , so pleased I did , I was on 2 packs a day , £10 a day , fingers crossed never again ,

RoofRat

War Hero
Half a Crown per hundred I remember, sold on at 10/- per hundred. Never smoked, so I was well in, financially.
I also remember that 100 fags could get you a pair of Flight Deck/Steaming bats too. :)
RoofRat

stirling said:
When did the issue stop?...we had 600 a month for 8/- in the 60's, or the equivilant in rolling/pipe tobacco. 8/-, 40p in todays money would only buy 2tabs !!.

3 Red stamps = 300 plain / Filter ciggies
or
3/4 lb Pipe tobacco
or
3/4 lb Cigarette tobacco

If you were on 600 per month, you were probably on Blue stamps - or you had an oppo who was a Dusty, unless you were one yourself ?

As for costs, they changed over the years, and the issues must have ended after the late 70s because I was still selling them through slops when I left in 79.
I didn't indulge in the weed myself, but used my own stamps (don't troop me, please Joss !!) to cover any shortfalls in the stock which was always seemed to be the case despite the care taken in stocktakes..!!

:)

It was 3 hundred a month or 3/4 pounds of tobacco or pipe tobacco
when at Prestwick my mate was the chief writer so unlimited supply of stamps, but dont tell anyone or I`ll drop him in the siht.

stirling2

Banned
whitemouse said:
stirling said:
When did the issue stop?...we had 600 a month for 8/- in the 60's, or the equivilant in rolling/pipe tobacco. 8/-, 40p in todays money would only buy 2tabs !!.

3 Red stamps = 300 plain / Filter ciggies
or
3/4 lb Pipe tobacco
or
3/4 lb Cigarette tobacco

If you were on 600 per month, you were probably on Blue stamps - or you had an oppo who was a Dusty, unless you were one yourself ?

As for costs, they changed over the years, and the issues must have ended after the late 70s because I was still selling them through slops when I left in 79.
I didn't indulge in the weed myself, but used my own stamps (don't troop me, please Joss !!) to cover any shortfalls in the stock which was always seemed to be the case despite the care taken in stocktakes..!!

:)

Must have had a senior moment...it was 300

flatbackpinky

Lantern Swinger
I remember them in collinggrad in 88 /89 used to sell them onto a female aquaintances father who was ex mob for a nice profit and the services of his daughter good deal all round

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Rosyth LRG '89. Scylla/Juno Quarterdeck Parts of Ship. POS PO was the tightest Jock you ever met, and would never give you anything for free. But I had a nice little thing going going, whereby I would declare myself a 'Smoker' in order to draw my fag stamps from the Ship's Office.

I would then cycle up to Cochrane SLOPS and draw my blue liners; three square silver-foil wrapped boxes. Maybe stop off for a sneaky pint in the Lion Club, then cycle back on board. Give the POS PO my DFs... and he would guarentee a Make 'n' Mend every Friday afternoon and Monday morning, ensuring I could catch the lunchtime/early morning flights between Edinburgh/Heathrow.

Happy days! :wink:

mikh

MIA
Think issued ended in 89/90 - The reason given was it was not fair on the pongos and crabs a they were not entitled to DF's in the UK - I used to split it 200 tipped & tin of rolling baccy and I liked them, but there again I was considerd a bit on the stange side

andym

War Hero
I think it was 98 per 100 in 78.I stopped smoking Blue liners after loosing my voice for 5 days!(not good for a Class Leader at Raleigh!)Then went over to Tickler.The tins came in handy as well!