Blue Ensign??

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Topstop, Apr 4, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just got Aprils "Navy News",abit late but hay ho :oops: Any way on the front is a pic of the ASTUTE with a Blue Ensign, when did that come in?

Went through my pics of Turbs and Trench and we used Red Ensigns on contractors and before Commisoning.

Have they just run out of the red ones and carnt afford em under new buget restrictions or is there another reason for the change?

2. Daring definately use to fly a blue ensign pre-commisioning.

3. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

I think it is because, although until she is commissioned she is a merchant ship, she may have been running trials under an Admiralty Master, a retired NO hired by the yard to do the driving. At least that's what used to happen in the great yesterday of my mind. I believe that a retired NO is entitled to fly a Blue Ensign from his ship or craft. No doubt QRRNs would clarify.

4. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Perhaps the trials master is a retired RN officer and entitled to fly a blue ensign. I don't expect that there are too many other sources of trials masters for nuclear submarines in the UK. Daring's master prior to commissioning is retired RN ( E M Hackett). Perhaps the Trials authority has its own admiralty flag which will be a defaced blue ensign.

If a red ensign is flown on a UK warship on contractor's trials, it is probably because the master isn't fussed or there are no blue ones going spare. Maybe all trials masters are ex RN. Container ship drivers don't have much experience of destroyer handling or diving submarines.

Not the staff answer(s), just suggestion(s). Sounds like Naval Gazer's part of ship.

D'oh! Beaten to it by Seaweed.

5. Astute is being driven by an active service RN Commander. Not sure about blue ensign vs red ensign - perhaps an educated dabber (is there such a thing?) might know :D

6. It might have been red before the Fwd staff dhobeyed it

7. No, only ossifers ovies :oops: :D :D

8. True. All the fun went out of it when they made tagout labels waterproof :(

9. Red felt tips were better if left in the pockets and the top came off(they always did) :D :D

10. Well in to the '90s, sea trials were conducted under the red duster. That caused a number of problems in the modern age, though. For example, sea survival equipment. To trial a ship/boat sensibly, it needs its operational outfit but in most cases, that doesn't meet MCGA requirements. A solution to that and other "legal" problems was to accept into MoD service and flag it accordingly.

Needless to say, I've oversimplified the position.

11. Makes sense, thanks :thumbright:

12. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

13. Thanks for the rules that bit I was partialy aware of, PoL gave the reasons behind the change.

Many thanks for your reseaches

TS.

14. Got a framed photo of some boat (*S* Class) coming out
    of Faslane with a red one on the bridge. Will upload it at
    some stage and maybe someone can tell me which boat
    it is/was. Found it in a 2nd hand shop and there's no name
    or clue on the back - when I took it out of its frame.

Laters!