Bloody reality, by the Guardian

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by 5dits, Nov 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. linky

Good reporting, I know one MA that's there, can imagine there are shit loads at the moment.
  2. This person's observations although 1 year old I expect are just as pertinent today.We solemnly tot up those who are killed but the wounded scarcely get a mention.I suspect that the British public's approval for this action would drop considerably if they knew the true extent and cost involved.
    The cynic in me wonders how many politician's sons and daughter are in the firing line.
  3. "The cynic in me wonders how many politician's sons and daughter are in the firing line."

I would say NONE along with any Nephews and Nieces

Jack McH
  4. Dunno about offspring and other relatives, but it's fairly well-known that a number of MPs are reservists and a couple have served in Iraq and Afghanistan including Surgeon Commander Andrew Murrison RN (rtd) (Iraq) and Maj Mark Lancaster (Afghan) - don't know if there are others. Murrison served despite voting against the Iraq war, so when the customary blanket condemnation of politicians comes around let's not forget those who do serve, or indeed the 217 who never wanted us to go into Iraq in the first place. Lancaster was also in Bosnia and Kosovo. There are also a number of political staffers to my knowledge who are reservists.

Given the subject of this thread I say all that bearing in mind a close friend of mine was seriously injured in Iraq and I completely agree with the points regarding the wounded. The public - notwithstanding Help for Heroes - seem to remain largely ignorant of this side of it.
  5. Always good to see or read a report from the frontline which tells it like it is. We need these to keep on coming as it is one of the best ways of promoting the extremely difficult work our people are doing out there.

His final section is a good sum up. He states he felt anger on return to the UK ... he is now more informed about the number of wounded personnel ... and by writing about it many more will be too. What it important to remember for him though is simply that in order to feel that anger he had to survive unscathed. I realise it was only a month and he will have been well looked after but so many aren't quite so lucky.

Be nice therefore to see some follow ups in due course. For now though I hope he keeps up the good work.

6. Yes its the first thing the press prints ---the death of servicemen in sandy places.

Usually with death there's always injured aswell --the unreported battle damaged ,scarred or maimed .

:nemo: :nemo:
  7. A powerful piece of writing. It certainly makes me think and reinforces my respect for the work all our servicemen and women are doing out there.Particually as I go home each evening to my family in one piece.
  8. Apart from Combat Chefs!
  9. Great report.

Very humbling.
  10. It was good to read an insight into what the medical teams are doing out there.

Any personnel who have been killed or wounded is a sad loss but it must not be forgotten that those who are there to pick up the pieces and deal with the stress associated with that I.E medics should not be ruled out as casualties in themselves.