bloody passport!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by willmuse, Oct 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey as a few of you know i'm joining Raleigh November 4th! I went to brief the other day but they couldn't give me a rail warrent because I didn't have my passport

I sent of for my passport yesterday ... had to wait for my pay to go in so I could pay for it!!! They say it takes 6 weeks for a passport to come back... I only have 4! haha! DO you know if they will still let me go down to Corwall if it's late? And do you know if it getting a passport within a month is possible?

2. Hey Will,

You will probably be ok. They normally say six weeks, but in the past I have received passports in days! Just depends on how busy they are. 6 weeks is usually worst case.

KF

3. thanks alot ! Days? Haha Fingers crossed i'll have the same luck!

I was worried for a second... I mean I wouldn't have thought October is peak time.

4. Just give them a call and politely ask roughly what the waiting time is at the moment.

I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for you :thumright:

5. Have you sent it in can ya know take it yourself??? Or has all that changed

6. i got mine back today after only a week so it shoudnt take 6 weeks for you

7. You can normally do it yourself but it's my first passport so they do not let unfortunately:(

8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You will have been told when you attended the AFCO for an initial enquiry brief, in the letter inviting you to attend the recruiting test, verbally at interview, again in your provisional offer of service letter, again when your security clearance was submitted, here:All about joining the Royal Navy and again when you were invited to attend your pre-entry brief, that you need to be in possession of a valid passport as a condition of entry into Naval Services.

As long as you can prove you have applied for a passport (passport office receipt, for example) then you will be given your travel warrant.

In circumstances such as this, it's very difficult to realistically apportion blame on the Passport Office.

Good luck, hope you manage to join on time.

9. Did you get the photos done properly? I hear they're a bit touchy on the subject of doing outrageous things in the photos, i.e. smiling, having freckles, pupils a little too dilated...

Seriously though I think you've missed peak-passport application time so hopefully they shouldn't be too overworked at the moment.

10. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

...as soon as you get to Raleigh and you get your JPA log-on (following lessons on how to use it, of course!) make sure you claim your money back for buying your passport; one of the things you can still get for freee from Pusser... :thumbright:

11. Yeh, it is totally my fault about the passport! I hope it comes in time!!! The post officec said it normally only takes about 2 weeks so hopefully I should be ok!

Can you really claim that 89 quid back I paid for my passport???

12. Yep. If you get your logon, feel free to PM me before Nov 7th (when I deploy) and I'll run you through it.

13. This makes absolute financial sense to me - imagine how much money is saved by ensuring new entrants already have a passport. I'd be interested too see how many new entrants have between 9 and 10 years validity on entry. This must save the pusser a fortune given the cost of a passport nowadays.

I'm just about to apply for another free passport! It takes some calculating to ensure you get a new one just before you go outside!!!

14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

NO, you cannot claim for a passport that you obtain BEFORE you join.

The one you join with must be valid & you cannot claim for that one even if it was issued the day before you join.

Subsequent renewals whilst you are in service, AFTER you join, yes.

15. Whats all this crap about passports. I joined the RN in 54 and never had a passport until 56 issued in Malta. to allow me to visit Sicily.

16. Travelled from Brize to San Juan(PR) via Montreal & Washington on a NATO movement order in 73 as I didn't have a passport: you would not believe how many doors opened and queues can be by passed with one of those. The only problem was that we forgot to tick the box marked "he is/is not permitted to carry firearms". At least the airport police in Dulles had a laugh when I said "I'm not allowed to tell you, I'm undercover". Then the metal detector went off and they suddenly got rather interested. All over a US Navy belt buckle...