Blood type

Discussion in 'RFA' started by WelshJaffaCake, Mar 13, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. They recently changed the age you can give blood in the UK to 17 don't know why or when, I just know they just did. Before this happened in order to find your blood group if were your under 18 you had to pay for it unless you had a blood test for medical purposes. So here's links to different blood banks in the UK;
    Another note hospitals are short of O negative blood so if you already know your type and it's O neg. Please donate and if you're not do it anyway.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  2. NINGA!!!!
  3. Sorry?
  4. Ninja Stoker. The person who may be able to help You.
  5. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Is he a vampire on the side?
  6. And You a Mod. Lowering Yourself to my schoolboy humour...:)
  7. If you are O negative prepare to be hounded with hundreds of letters, texts and phone calls.
  8. Sarking can you remember that far back?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Scotblood are a complete pain in the a*se I donated blood and never got my card that day and still waiting on my card and blood type from them got it done private for 43 quid and results in 2 days I'm type O will go back and give them some more
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Maybe because I have long line of family members on my mam's side being nurses that I was hoping to be O neg and set up regular donations.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  11. B+

Ironic, in my case.
  12. If you go to any African countries or some of the other places the RFA visit they will not accept blood donations again from you or so I was told when speaking to the nurse who was ex RN
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Im o neg and donate as regularly as possible but being in the RFA doesnt make it easy. I appreciate that it's a universal blood but they can be worse than PPI for contacting you to donate
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Just a bit of further info, it can take a while to get an appointment to donate. I'm currently going through the recruitment process so thought I'd donate and find out my blood type just in case I get through. I signed up in January and tried to book an appointment but they had nothing locally until June! I finally managed to get an appointment end of March after searching a bit further afield.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Im A+ not donated for a while due to getting tattoos
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Cool so you can get tats then where did you get yours done? I held off due to them saying something about them not liking them
  17. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Who doesn't like tats??
    • Like Like x 1
  18. The blood bank doesn't like tats lol. 12 month donor ban after getting any ink. As for RFA its nothing above collar, below wrists, nothing offensive and they are not huge fans of excessive coverage. Got my 1st at 16 before joining RN and all others since come within the rules ;)
    • Like Like x 2
  19. When first finding out about the RFA I was told they had a policy about tattoos so held off until I was in/confirmed where I could have them before getting what I wanted,
  20. It's confusing sometimes what you can and can't have! When I worked on seismic vessels the maritime crew were covered in tats from head to toe, no one cared what or where they were. When the the work dried up I went to work for a cruise company (worst offshore job EVER!) and they had a strict policy of no visible tats whatsoever. I do have tats but they are on my torso, not visible in uniform so I was ok. At least we know now what is acceptable in the RFA - I might have to get another one lol!
    • Like Like x 2