Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blood Pressure

IS-Potential

Lantern Swinger
Is elevated diastolic blood pressure a bar to entry for the RN?
(diastolic ranging from 83 -> 100 when under stress (i.e. when being examined by the Doctor at the AFCO), normally 69-77)

I'm asking as I've had 2 medicals with the Royal Navy (with 2 diff Drs) thus far and both times it has been up, but when checked at the GP its normal, so have been told to ask GP to arrange a 24 hr BP test to try to get to the bottom of this. (first Dr considered it "white coat syndrome" and was willing to pass me if I came back with a normal set of results, however the other Dr I saw, doesn't believe in "white coat syndrome" and has ordered further tests) I know why he wants to check....its just frustrating, I really want to serve my country and make something of myself.

One positive has come out of this process....GP went over my meds, agreed to take me off them and it seems I was misdiagnosed on the IBS :D Seems the pills they had me take were causing the problems :D :D

A

angrydoc

White Coat Syndrome is common, but usually only involves the systolic pressure (ie the first figure in the blood pressure measurement). Elevated diastolic pressure is unusual in anxiety, but not unheard of. I agree with the second GP's assessment that a 24 hour monitor is required.

IS-Potential

Lantern Swinger
Thanks for the information, its appreciated :)

Both of mine go up (systolic and diastolic), and I'm told by others in my family it happens to them too with certain Drs but not with others.

Thankfully my family otherwise has solid genetics (most of them work for years in heavy industry and construction and are never off sick.)

My GP has ordered an alternative 24 hour BP test as the local hospital administer the test ordered by the navy doc (ambulatory 24/24 BP) and the hospital have a massive waiting list locally.

GP reckons the alternate test should show up if there are any issues in the mean time, they say they will forward me for the ordered test if the alternate doesn't meet the needs of the AFCO or if it shows up anything needing further investigation.

I feel like I'm playing piggy in the middle between Drs at times I really do :roll:

At least your Dr is making a good effort to get you checked out properly, useful backup in case you need to try and challenge any future findings from the AFCO doc.. (mind you they are normally spot on)

IS-Potential

Lantern Swinger
I know man, its just a bit of a pain.
Want to get on with application process, seem to have done ok thus far, just the medical thats sticking things and its not the easiest to keep motivation up when keep getting knock backs.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Coronavirus (COVID-19) and high blood pressure medication MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Three further batches of blood pressure and heart medication recalled from pharmacies MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Additional blood pressure and heart medication recalled from pharmacies MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: MHRA recalls more blood pressure and heart medication from pharmacies as a precaution MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Irbesartan blood pressure and heart medication recalled from pharmacies by MHRA MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: MHRA recalls Valsartan blood pressure and heart medication from pharmacies MoD News 0
C Aircrew Medical Blood Pressure Joining the Royal Navy 15
H failed medical due to high blood pressure Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 46
D Blood pressure Health & Fitness 4
alfred_the_great One for AngryDoc - relationship between Stroke Volume and Blood Pressure Health & Fitness 6
werqpr Blood Pressure Health & Fitness 8
werqpr blood pressure Health & Fitness 16
P URGENT: High Blood Pressure, Medically Discarged Health & Fitness 43
R Blood Pressure Health & Fitness 7
The_Wonderer Blood Pressure Health & Fitness 21
slim A jab that will cure high blood pressure Diamond Lil's 2
S Blood Pressure The Quarterdeck 42
MoD_RSS Landmark change to blood donation criteria MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Warfarin and other blood thinners – reminder on safe use during COVID-19 pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS First far north “blood bike” named MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DVLA unveils Blood Bikes Wales as their Charity of Choice for 2020 MoD News 0
H Vaccinations/blood grouping Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
MoD_RSS Reducing saturated fat lowers blood cholesterol and risk of CVD MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Infected blood scandal: increased financial support for victims confirmed MoD News 0
Goatherder What is the origin of the nickname 'Blood' Reed/Reid? The Quarterdeck 14
WelshJaffaCake Blood type RFA 36
MoD_RSS Press release: New research shows need for emergency responders to carry blood MoD News 0
G Where to find out blood type? RFA 17
Ageing_Gracefully First Book Comp of 2014 - Fields of Blood Competitions 13
Ageing_Gracefully 2nd July Competition - INVESTMENT IN BLOOD Competitions 12
T Blood/Bone/Organ Donor's Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
mcreature Blood Bro. Nautical Jokes 2
A Blood type Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 35
Polycell New blood needed Submariners 0
Bergen Dean Richards and Harlequin RFC Blood Injuries Diamond Lil's 6
Ollie-O Blood and Adrenaline The Gash Barge 5
werqpr blood test Health & Fitness 3
Chicogiz Blood risk for UK soldiers and civilians The Quarterdeck 4
wet_blobby spitting blood. Diamond Lil's 11
K Refusing blood transfusion Current Affairs 50
brazenhussy blood transfusion.................... Current Affairs 9
D Males after young blood! Diamond Lil's 24
MoD_RSS Veterans UK looking for new ways to help ease the pressure on the National Health Service and continue processing claims safely MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Additional sanctions increase pressure on Assad regime and its backers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Teachers say parents need help to resist off-rolling pressure MoD News 0
soleil ITV: "Royal Navy Under 'Significant Manpower Pressure'" Current Affairs 5
SONAR-BENDER RFA 'pressure cooker environment' fisticuffs RFA 18
finknottle Pressure mounts on Cameron to hold EU referendum sooner than planned Current Affairs 41
soleil BFBS News: "Submarine Crews Feel The Pressure" Submariners 3
G Don't put pressure on your kids to perform Diamond Lil's 7