Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blood Pressure

werqpr

Lantern Swinger
Just had my blood pressure taken on one of the mechines in the chemists (not the most relieable I know) and my BP was 155/78 which is obiously a bit high, so the question is, how long should it take to lower high blood pressure if I follow a VERY VERY VERY strict diet of NO SALT AND NO BEER only good healthy foods ie: fresh fish, plenty of fruit veg? any ideas??

thanks

chieftiff

War Hero
werqpr said:
Just had my blood pressure taken on one of the mechines in the chemists (not the most relieable I know) and my BP was 155/78 which is obiously a bit high, so the question is, how long should it take to lower high blood pressure if I follow a VERY VERY VERY strict diet of NO SALT AND NO BEER only good healthy foods ie: fresh fish, plenty of fruit veg? any ideas??

thanks

I got mine down from 149/90 in a month to 120/85 by changing my diet(I virtually went veggie), exercising a lot more and giving up smoking.......oh and leaving the RN!

I think exercise is the biggest factor to be honest, but speak to a doctor first!

I've now started smoking again but the diet is permanent as is the exercise and the blood pressure is now fine(ish)

4to8

MIA
chieftiff said:
I think exercise is the biggest factor to be honest, but speak to a doctor first!

Ditto. Tried all sorts of stunts to get mine down, it was walkies that did the trick in the end

Lash_Monster

Badgeman
Without bringing up any homoerotic connotations/tangents, how large are your biceps/arms? Because mine are larger than average I was shocked when the nurse took my blood pressure during my medical and it was something like 160/100 and indicative of my heart about to pop... The doctor later explained that biceps over 16" require a larger cuff for the test at which point my rate dropped to a reassuring, perfect 120/80. Just a word of caution with those automatic jobs....

If, on the other hand, you have normal sized arms and do believe yourself to have a high blood pressure, I'd look for advice from a doc/qualified person though!

Nails

Banned
If your blood pressure is high, next time you get it takenb u will more than likely be aprehensive as to what the results will be ... therefore raising what is probably normal blood pressure to high blood pressure. I think the doctors call it white coat syndrome. It can be solved by taking 10mg of valium prior to a blood pressure test.

Drakey

War Hero
Nails said:
If your blood pressure is high, next time you get it takenb u will more than likely be aprehensive as to what the results will be ... therefore raising what is probably normal blood pressure to high blood pressure. I think the doctors call it white coat syndrome. It can be solved by taking 10mg of valium prior to a blood pressure test.

Kin 'ell Nails. For a minute there I thought you were going to give some serious advice, but you spoiled it with the last sentence. SHAME ON YOU.

Nails

Banned
lol ok anyone actually after serious advice, disregard that last sentence ... or not ... it's up to you.

A

angrydoc

High BP is never diagnosed in one sitting anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it. Those machines are not great from an accuracy point of view anyway.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Coronavirus (COVID-19) and high blood pressure medication MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Three further batches of blood pressure and heart medication recalled from pharmacies MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Additional blood pressure and heart medication recalled from pharmacies MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: MHRA recalls more blood pressure and heart medication from pharmacies as a precaution MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Irbesartan blood pressure and heart medication recalled from pharmacies by MHRA MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: MHRA recalls Valsartan blood pressure and heart medication from pharmacies MoD News 0
C Aircrew Medical Blood Pressure Joining the Royal Navy 15
H failed medical due to high blood pressure Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 46
D Blood pressure Health & Fitness 4
alfred_the_great One for AngryDoc - relationship between Stroke Volume and Blood Pressure Health & Fitness 6
I Blood Pressure Health & Fitness 4
werqpr blood pressure Health & Fitness 16
P URGENT: High Blood Pressure, Medically Discarged Health & Fitness 43
R Blood Pressure Health & Fitness 7
The_Wonderer Blood Pressure Health & Fitness 21
slim A jab that will cure high blood pressure Diamond Lil's 2
S Blood Pressure The Quarterdeck 42
MoD_RSS Landmark change to blood donation criteria MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Warfarin and other blood thinners – reminder on safe use during COVID-19 pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS First far north “blood bike” named MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DVLA unveils Blood Bikes Wales as their Charity of Choice for 2020 MoD News 0
H Vaccinations/blood grouping Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
MoD_RSS Reducing saturated fat lowers blood cholesterol and risk of CVD MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Infected blood scandal: increased financial support for victims confirmed MoD News 0
Goatherder What is the origin of the nickname 'Blood' Reed/Reid? The Quarterdeck 14
WelshJaffaCake Blood type RFA 36
MoD_RSS Press release: New research shows need for emergency responders to carry blood MoD News 0
G Where to find out blood type? RFA 17
Ageing_Gracefully First Book Comp of 2014 - Fields of Blood Competitions 13
Ageing_Gracefully 2nd July Competition - INVESTMENT IN BLOOD Competitions 12
T Blood/Bone/Organ Donor's Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
mcreature Blood Bro. Nautical Jokes 2
A Blood type Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 35
Polycell New blood needed Submariners 0
Bergen Dean Richards and Harlequin RFC Blood Injuries Diamond Lil's 6
Ollie-O Blood and Adrenaline The Gash Barge 5
werqpr blood test Health & Fitness 3
Chicogiz Blood risk for UK soldiers and civilians The Quarterdeck 4
wet_blobby spitting blood. Diamond Lil's 11
K Refusing blood transfusion Current Affairs 50
brazenhussy blood transfusion.................... Current Affairs 9
D Males after young blood! Diamond Lil's 24
MoD_RSS Veterans UK looking for new ways to help ease the pressure on the National Health Service and continue processing claims safely MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Additional sanctions increase pressure on Assad regime and its backers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Teachers say parents need help to resist off-rolling pressure MoD News 0
soleil ITV: "Royal Navy Under 'Significant Manpower Pressure'" Current Affairs 5
SONAR-BENDER RFA 'pressure cooker environment' fisticuffs RFA 18
finknottle Pressure mounts on Cameron to hold EU referendum sooner than planned Current Affairs 41
soleil BFBS News: "Submarine Crews Feel The Pressure" Submariners 3
G Don't put pressure on your kids to perform Diamond Lil's 7