Blood Pressure

werqpr

Lantern Swinger
Just had my blood pressure taken on one of the mechines in the chemists (not the most relieable I know) and my BP was 155/78 which is obiously a bit high, so the question is, how long should it take to lower high blood pressure if I follow a VERY VERY VERY strict diet of NO SALT AND NO BEER only good healthy foods ie: fresh fish, plenty of fruit veg? any ideas??

thanks

chieftiff

War Hero
werqpr said:
Just had my blood pressure taken on one of the mechines in the chemists (not the most relieable I know) and my BP was 155/78 which is obiously a bit high, so the question is, how long should it take to lower high blood pressure if I follow a VERY VERY VERY strict diet of NO SALT AND NO BEER only good healthy foods ie: fresh fish, plenty of fruit veg? any ideas??

thanks
I got mine down from 149/90 in a month to 120/85 by changing my diet(I virtually went veggie), exercising a lot more and giving up smoking.......oh and leaving the RN!

I think exercise is the biggest factor to be honest, but speak to a doctor first!

I've now started smoking again but the diet is permanent as is the exercise and the blood pressure is now fine(ish)

chieftiff said:
I think exercise is the biggest factor to be honest, but speak to a doctor first!
Ditto. Tried all sorts of stunts to get mine down, it was walkies that did the trick in the end

Without bringing up any homoerotic connotations/tangents, how large are your biceps/arms? Because mine are larger than average I was shocked when the nurse took my blood pressure during my medical and it was something like 160/100 and indicative of my heart about to pop... The doctor later explained that biceps over 16" require a larger cuff for the test at which point my rate dropped to a reassuring, perfect 120/80. Just a word of caution with those automatic jobs....

If, on the other hand, you have normal sized arms and do believe yourself to have a high blood pressure, I'd look for advice from a doc/qualified person though!

If your blood pressure is high, next time you get it takenb u will more than likely be aprehensive as to what the results will be ... therefore raising what is probably normal blood pressure to high blood pressure. I think the doctors call it white coat syndrome. It can be solved by taking 10mg of valium prior to a blood pressure test.

Nails said:
If your blood pressure is high, next time you get it takenb u will more than likely be aprehensive as to what the results will be ... therefore raising what is probably normal blood pressure to high blood pressure. I think the doctors call it white coat syndrome. It can be solved by taking 10mg of valium prior to a blood pressure test.

Kin 'ell Nails. For a minute there I thought you were going to give some serious advice, but you spoiled it with the last sentence. SHAME ON YOU.

A

angrydoc

High BP is never diagnosed in one sitting anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it. Those machines are not great from an accuracy point of view anyway.