Blood Pressure

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by werqpr, Mar 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just had my blood pressure taken on one of the mechines in the chemists (not the most relieable I know) and my BP was 155/78 which is obiously a bit high, so the question is, how long should it take to lower high blood pressure if I follow a VERY VERY VERY strict diet of NO SALT AND NO BEER only good healthy foods ie: fresh fish, plenty of fruit veg? any ideas??

thanks

2. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

I got mine down from 149/90 in a month to 120/85 by changing my diet(I virtually went veggie), exercising a lot more and giving up smoking.......oh and leaving the RN!

I think exercise is the biggest factor to be honest, but speak to a doctor first!

I've now started smoking again but the diet is permanent as is the exercise and the blood pressure is now fine(ish)

3. No salt is likely to cause you some problems. Reduced salt, however...:thumright:

4. Ditto. Tried all sorts of stunts to get mine down, it was walkies that did the trick in the end

5. Without bringing up any homoerotic connotations/tangents, how large are your biceps/arms? Because mine are larger than average I was shocked when the nurse took my blood pressure during my medical and it was something like 160/100 and indicative of my heart about to pop... The doctor later explained that biceps over 16" require a larger cuff for the test at which point my rate dropped to a reassuring, perfect 120/80. Just a word of caution with those automatic jobs....

If, on the other hand, you have normal sized arms and do believe yourself to have a high blood pressure, I'd look for advice from a doc/qualified person though!

6. If your blood pressure is high, next time you get it takenb u will more than likely be aprehensive as to what the results will be ... therefore raising what is probably normal blood pressure to high blood pressure. I think the doctors call it white coat syndrome. It can be solved by taking 10mg of valium prior to a blood pressure test.

7. Kin 'ell Nails. For a minute there I thought you were going to give some serious advice, but you spoiled it with the last sentence. SHAME ON YOU.

8. lol ok anyone actually after serious advice, disregard that last sentence ... or not ... it's up to you.

9. High BP is never diagnosed in one sitting anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it. Those machines are not great from an accuracy point of view anyway.