Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

blood pressure

werqpr

Lantern Swinger
I've just returned from the doctors and my BP is 145/85 and 151/72

I'm 24, 6"1 and weigh 15.8, is my blood prussure to high??

Not to be a smart arse, but wouldnt the doc have told you if its too high rather than asking people on a forum, most of which wont have a clue?

werqpr

Lantern Swinger
watch_and_shoot said:
Not to be a smart arse, but wouldnt the doc have told you if its too high rather than asking people on a forum, most of which wont have a clue?

thats a fair point but, when i went for my medical the Dr said it was high, then this morning my Dr said it was normal, so i was hoping angry doc or someone like that could help me out

Dunmytime

Badgeman
No doubt someone more qualified will give you a more detailed response, but a while back I was checking out my BP and I now keep a fairly close eye on it - the notes I have are:

Normal Blood Pressure Levels 135/80
Top - Systolic - pressure in your arteries when you heart is forcing blood through them.
Bottom - Diastolic - pressure in your arteries when hear relaxes

Systolic reading can be anywhere between 90 and 240 and the Diastolic from 60 to 140.

A reading of 140/90 is boderline hypertension HBP
A reading of 141/90 - 160/95 is moderate to high risk HBP
A reading higher than 160/95 is high risk HBP

A consistent reading of 140/90 is the level used to diagnore HBP - if it consistently at this level it will need to be treated.

BP varies in everyone by a large amount, based on age, diet, lifestyle, itness etc - you may get unexpected "one off" high readings so measurements should be repeated over a period of time.

As it's been pointed out - your GP would advise you if you have HBP and then discuss with you any lifestyle changes or whether you need medication to keep it under control.

Just get a job that is stress free.... :)

Waspie

War Hero
Dunmytime said:
Just get a job that is stress free.... :)

Do they exist?

Better to identify the symtoms and deal accordingly.

An old boss of mine used to say 'we make our own stress'. Never a truer word spoken.

stirling2

Banned
werqpr said:

I'm 56, 6'1'' and weigh 11.6 and my BP is 112/70..........such is life. :thumright:

werqpr

Lantern Swinger
stirling said:
werqpr said:

I'm 56, 6'1'' and weigh 11.6 and my BP is 112/70..........such is life. :thumright:

well done, take a bow! but it doesnt help me out, i've got a 3 inch nob and big ears! know what i mean old son!!

werqpr said:
stirling said:
werqpr said:

well done, take a bow! but it doesnt help me out, i've got a 3 inch nob and big ears! know what i mean old son!!

Lose weight, exercise and eat healthily mate. Simple as

Guzzler

War Hero
A few months ago I had some pains in my abdomen so I went to the doctor.

He could find nothing wrong and I'm fine now.

Could someone who doesn't know me who has no medical qualifications please let me know if I am ill?

Waspie

War Hero
Guzzler said:

Could someone who doesn't know me who has no medical qualifications please let me know if I am ill?

I'm totally unqualified, so yes your ill, not only that but barking mad too. :tongue8:

werqpr

Lantern Swinger
Guzzler said:

Guzzler, the more of your posts I read the more I fall in love with you. Navy banter is gonna suit me down to the ground

werqpr said:

Yes, that could be regarded as 'high'. As stated above the 'average' for your age should be about 120/80, and below 140/90.

'Average' is a very loose term when dealing with 6 billion people though. Also depends on time of day / current stress level / how good looking the doc is / family history.

Slitting your throat is a quick and effective method of reducing BP, and will have it below 140 within the hour. Stay fit, eat healthily and have it monitored is the rather more boring conventional way.

Guzzler

War Hero
werqpr said:
Guzzler said:

Guzzler, the more of your posts I read the more I fall in love with you. Navy banter is gonna suit me down to the ground

How very touching oh hooped one.

Must say I've shared some enjoyable banter with some of your comrades from the Loft over recent years.

Good luck.

stirling2

Banned
werqpr said:
Guzzler said:

....really ?

werqpr

Lantern Swinger
stirling said:
werqpr said:
Guzzler said:

....really ?

no, i was telling porky's

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Guzzler said:
...Could someone who doesn't know me who has no medical qualifications please let me know if I am ill?

Happy to oblige...

You're fine my good chap, however get that bunnion checked without further ado.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Coronavirus (COVID-19) and high blood pressure medication MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Three further batches of blood pressure and heart medication recalled from pharmacies MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Additional blood pressure and heart medication recalled from pharmacies MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: MHRA recalls more blood pressure and heart medication from pharmacies as a precaution MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Irbesartan blood pressure and heart medication recalled from pharmacies by MHRA MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: MHRA recalls Valsartan blood pressure and heart medication from pharmacies MoD News 0
C Aircrew Medical Blood Pressure Joining the Royal Navy 15
H failed medical due to high blood pressure Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 46
D Blood pressure Health & Fitness 4
alfred_the_great One for AngryDoc - relationship between Stroke Volume and Blood Pressure Health & Fitness 6
I Blood Pressure Health & Fitness 4
werqpr Blood Pressure Health & Fitness 8
P URGENT: High Blood Pressure, Medically Discarged Health & Fitness 43
R Blood Pressure Health & Fitness 7
The_Wonderer Blood Pressure Health & Fitness 21
slim A jab that will cure high blood pressure Diamond Lil's 2
S Blood Pressure The Quarterdeck 42
MoD_RSS Landmark change to blood donation criteria MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Warfarin and other blood thinners – reminder on safe use during COVID-19 pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS First far north “blood bike” named MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DVLA unveils Blood Bikes Wales as their Charity of Choice for 2020 MoD News 0
H Vaccinations/blood grouping Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
MoD_RSS Reducing saturated fat lowers blood cholesterol and risk of CVD MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Infected blood scandal: increased financial support for victims confirmed MoD News 0
Goatherder What is the origin of the nickname 'Blood' Reed/Reid? The Quarterdeck 14
WelshJaffaCake Blood type RFA 36
MoD_RSS Press release: New research shows need for emergency responders to carry blood MoD News 0
G Where to find out blood type? RFA 17
Ageing_Gracefully First Book Comp of 2014 - Fields of Blood Competitions 13
Ageing_Gracefully 2nd July Competition - INVESTMENT IN BLOOD Competitions 12
T Blood/Bone/Organ Donor's Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
mcreature Blood Bro. Nautical Jokes 2
A Blood type Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 35
Polycell New blood needed Submariners 0
Bergen Dean Richards and Harlequin RFC Blood Injuries Diamond Lil's 6
Ollie-O Blood and Adrenaline The Gash Barge 5
werqpr blood test Health & Fitness 3
Chicogiz Blood risk for UK soldiers and civilians The Quarterdeck 4
wet_blobby spitting blood. Diamond Lil's 11
K Refusing blood transfusion Current Affairs 50
brazenhussy blood transfusion.................... Current Affairs 9
D Males after young blood! Diamond Lil's 24
MoD_RSS Veterans UK looking for new ways to help ease the pressure on the National Health Service and continue processing claims safely MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Additional sanctions increase pressure on Assad regime and its backers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Teachers say parents need help to resist off-rolling pressure MoD News 0
soleil ITV: "Royal Navy Under 'Significant Manpower Pressure'" Current Affairs 5
SONAR-BENDER RFA 'pressure cooker environment' fisticuffs RFA 18
finknottle Pressure mounts on Cameron to hold EU referendum sooner than planned Current Affairs 41
soleil BFBS News: "Submarine Crews Feel The Pressure" Submariners 3
G Don't put pressure on your kids to perform Diamond Lil's 7