Blood Pressure

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by The_Wonderer, Sep 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. (In response to any concerns regarding BP)

Blood pressure is the force of blood against the walls of your arteries.

Systolic (the top number) is the measurement of pressure of the ejected blood from your heart, diastolic (the lower number) is the measurement of the lowest pressure reached while your heart is relaxed after ejecting blood, and refilling.

There is some debate; however, normal systolic BP in an adult is between 110 and 140, and diastolic between 60 and 90

Systolic(mm Hg) Diastolic(mm Hg) Classification

<130<85 Normal
    130-139 85-89 High Normal
    140-159 90-99 Hypertension (stage 1)
    160-179 100-109 Moderate Hypertension (stage 2)
    180-209 110-119 Severe Hypertension (stage 3)
    >209 >119 Very Severe Hypertension (stage 4)

2. I was informed that if you add 80 to your age this should give you an indication of what your BP should be....it does rise as we get older as the arteries harden...as I have already mentioned mine is 110/70 , at age 55 I must be doing something right.

3. I would definately say so.
    (well done)

4. I'm guessing your a non smoker, dont drink excessively, eat quite healthily, are not overweight, and exercise regularly.

(But your probably going to make a cnut out of me and say "non of the above")

5. 6ft-1'', 11st-4lbs....I walk ( ramming speed ) about 5 miles a day, sunday to friday I eat porridge, fruit and nuts...saturday I treat myself to either bacon or sausage sandwiches , booze , apart from my weeks holiday very rare nowadays.....though if I met up with some RR members at a ''do'' I would gear myself up for that and put a fair bit away ( I used to drink very heavily ) ok your turn.

Stirl

6. Bit of a "phys monster", and work as a fitness instructor.
    I dont smoke, but do drink a fair bit.
    My diet could be better, but I probably get away with a lot because I do about 2-3 hours of hard phys a day (for job and own training)

BP was 114/64 last time I checked
    Resting HR is 42bpm every morning

7. The general rule of thumb is actually 100+ age to reach your systolic BP. However this varies considerally if you have a medical history (Hx) of diabetes, previous heart conditions M.I or a previous stroke which generally leads to hypertension, or is in deed a sign that any of those conditions previously mentioned is imminent.

Basically keep yourself fit and healthy to prevent atheroma or narrowing of the arteries and if your unsure it wouldnt hurt to take an aspirin once a day unless you have any of these conditions listed below

On anti-coagulant therapy such as Warfarin
    Known allergy to aspirin
    DO NOT take aspirin if under 16 years old
    known haemophiliac
    some gastric problems such as peptic ulcers etc

8. Therefore, anyone over 40 would be automatically classed as having stage 1 hypertension.
    (hence the debate)

9. Maybe people reading our exchange will take advantage of all the BP ads top and bottom of this thread.
    Another reason for the porridge, fruit and nuts apart from the obvious is it is dirt cheap....less than a squid a day.

10. Keeps you regular too :rendeer:

11. Again it depend on many factors mate. A 40 Y.O.M could be as fit as a fiddle (slim, runners gait) with a resting HR of <60 and BP of 120/80 it just depends on his lifestyle choice.

Then again a bloke i was directly involved with yesterday who was 37 probably had hypertension due to his lifestyle choice of booze and drugs leading to portal hypertension (look it up) I couldn't actually palpate a radial pulse when i met him because he was in hypovoloemic shock at the time and died. LOL.

The korotkoff method of attaining a BP and the subsequent figures in mmHg are only a guide and its therefore important to get a good medical Hx from the patient. E.G An 80 year old with a resting HR of <60 could be indicative of many different things. Is he on beta-blockers?? Is he in cardiogenic shock?? etc etc.

Bored yet? LOL

12. :thumright:

13. can anyone answer this? I recently went for an operation and have been told i have high blood pressure, posibley herediatry, and have been given tablets to help it. What do i do now, who needs to know?

14. God i could have done with these interesting facts before i started my nurse training.

Remember the other month we had a very poorly patient whos BP was 40/30.
    Ended up squeezing Gelofusin into him, bag after bag after bag to make it rise, but with no luck, ended up getting transferred to ITU!

15. That doesnt sound good crystal, how did he present?? Or was it just that he had over beta blocked?? lol

16. Take the tablets religiously,stop smoking,reduce the Salt in your diet.Stop eating fatty foods,increase your intake of Fiber and roughage.Take at least 30 mins of excersise a day.You may need to tell your Life insurance people as well.

17. We have family BP, myself one day massive headache vomiting etc well I was having a brain haemorrhage luck would have it not my turn to depart just yet.

Two hospitals later I was having a op to stop the brain leaking. Tenyears + later still here knocking the miles out over the hills. Thirty four miles in nine hours not to bad for the age and condition I am a thinking. The seven tablets a day helps as well so they tell me either the seven a day or the risk of stroke or heart attack says the doc.

18. Sorry I havent been clear in what i am asking, who in unit do i need to let know about this condition?

19. Nutty_bag - no offence but what the hell are you talking about?

Portal hypertension is nothing whatsoever to do with systemic hypertension. It indicates (usually) liver disease leading to increased pressure in the portal venous system - the subsequent back-pressure causes dilatation of usually underfilled vessels such as oesephageal veins, umbilical veins and rectal veins. The person may also have systemic hypertension but the two things are not directly related.

And by "the Korotkoff method" I assume you mean the sounds described by Nikolei Korotkoff and the debate about whether the fourth or fifth sounds are more accurate for the diastolic measurement - window dressing shippers! The difference in pressure is about 5 mmHg, which isn't really going to help you make the decision about whether or not your patient is hypertensive.

And to all the worried well - one measure of high blood pressure is meaningless - you need at least 3 measurements at 3 different times because so many things affect it (anxiety, for example, like the anxiety you feel before an operation!). See your GP / MO if you're worried. It's fairly easy to work out if you need medication or not. Often lifestyle modification (stopping smoking etc etc) is enough.

Pseudo-quakkery reins on the rest of the internet - let's hope RR banishes it.