Blood Pressure

A question for our resident Medics.....
Why is there an upper and lower figure ?......what is a ''good'' pressure to aim for and maintain ?....I know the upper limit of say 140 is too high but what is a safe lower figure.
Thanx in advance

Stirl

Hawkeye

Lantern Swinger
The systolic pressure is the maximum pressure in an artery at the moment when the heart is beating and pumping blood through the body.

The diastolic pressure is the lowest pressure in an artery in the moments between beats when the heart is resting.

Category Systolic (Top number) Normal Less than 120
Prehypertension 120-139
Diastolic (Bottom number) Normal Less than 80
Prehypertension 80-89
High Blood Pressure Systolic
Stage 1 140-159
Stage 2 160 or higher
High Blood Pressure Diastolic
Stage 1 90-99
Stage 2 100 or higher

wet_blobby

War Hero
mine was 205/120...Woops...Doc has given me some tabs and suggested I cut back on the booze n fags etc...Oh and also generaly re-invent myself as a greenie tree hugging lettuce eater :shock: :oops:

awwwwwwwwwww blobs..you need somwhere nice to rest your head.. an relax,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that will get your blood pressure down....... :twisted: :twisted:

wet_blobby said:
mine was 205/120...Woops...Doc has given me some tabs and suggested I cut back on the booze n fags etc...Oh and also generaly re-invent myself as a greenie tree hugging lettuce eater :shock: :oops:
Sorry blobs but going to get mean here :evil: You are a walking stroke/heart attack waiting to happen!!!!!! :sad: GET IT SORTED MATE!!!!!!! Otherwise Pinta will kick your butt!!!! Hawkeye hit it on the head as far as answer to original question.

wet_blobby said:
Did they say how long your on the pills for ???

Im on three lots (been on them for years now) - last review, 2 weeks ago, i asked if they could be reduced as my BP was spot on and the GP refused, problem is that I cant join the Reserves as im on medication and my age is now counting against me - 40 next yr :cry:

golden_rivet said:
Eat an apple every day - good way to start and soon got out of the way!

Stroking pussies is a well known way to reduce blood pressure :lol:
Rather eat the pussy and stroke the apple :oops:

wet_blobby

War Hero
ukdaytona said:
wet_blobby said:

Im on three lots (been on them for years now) - last review, 2 weeks ago, i asked if they could be reduced as my BP was spot on and the GP refused, problem is that I cant join the Reserves as im on medication and my age is now counting against me - 40 next yr :cry:
I didn't ask how long I was on the tabs for, only just started them, I'm on one for high BP, asprin and one for high colestral, had a count of 9.5 for that an all, trouble is all the nice things in life are bad and all the shite is good, will have to start embracing all the expensive health foods, but where can you get a salad at 2a.m when your shedded..there not next to the kebab houses...

wet_blobby said:
ukdaytona said:
wet_blobby said:

I didn't ask how long I was on the tabs for, only just started them, I'm on one for high BP, asprin and one for high colestral, had a count of 9.5 for that an all, trouble is all the nice things in life are bad and all the shite is good, will have to start embracing all the expensive health foods, but where can you get a salad at 2a.m when your shedded..there not next to the kebab houses...
Sounds like you're not going to be a member for too much longer WB!!!

What boot size are you by the way :lol:

wet_blobby

War Hero
funnily enough Spider I found me old ski march boots last friday and gave them away to a builder friend of mine so haven't got any more left, still got a pith helmet and all the trappings though.......

wet_blobby said:
Your Cholesterol will be a good one, I started on them about 4 years ago now and every time I hit 'the required reading' it had been dropped so no idea what i am now but they still keep giving me the pills.

You may not recognise me but you will hear me rattle as i walk

wet_blobby said:
ukdaytona said:
wet_blobby said:

Try the Indian takeaway they usually have salads to go with the starter.