CheeseNhamToast

Midshipman
Hey guys,

Sorry if this one has been found out and posted already...

I'm hopefully off to Raleigh in April as a seaman apprentice and I've completed most of my checklist except for the blood group and vaccines, which I really struggled to sort out.

So! For anyone else who is struggling and wondering how on earth they're supposed to get them done in time, I just wanted to share the one spot I found... The Superdrug Nurse clinic!
I don't know, you guys might have found a way already, but I was tearing my hair out with this one!

I spoke to a nurse by calling the 0333 number and told her what vaccines and blood group test I needed.
She did a stock check in my nearest clinic, luckily everything I needed was in and then she reserved them for me.
She booked me in for an appointment in Dec and told me I could have all vaccines at once (uh oh).
She then gave me a number for a partner company, whom I have to order the blood test kit through. They will send it out to me, I take it with me to the superdrug clinic and then I should have my results within a week

Beware that it's costly, I'll be out of pocket to the tune of £281 and that's not including the £115 ENG1 or the £55 discharge book (The RFA will reimburse everything except the book).

I hope this helps anyone else who's been racking their brains trying to sort these. Covid has put a stop to the routes of the past it seems.

Anyway, hopefully all will be completed in time for the Jan deadline!

Shipwrek

Midshipman
Hi I just wanted to say that I got all my vaccines free of charge from my GP, the only one I have to pay for is the Yellow Fever which I'm getting from Boots Pharmacy next weekend.

By the way I'm starting in April as a Steward Apprentice, so I'll see you there.

Random

Lantern Swinger
Hi I just wanted to say that I got all my vaccines free of charge from my GP, the only one I have to pay for is the Yellow Fever which I'm getting from Boots Pharmacy next weekend.
Its nice to have a friendly GP, but not everyone is so lucky, the NHS can (and in many areas does) charge for vaccinations required for purely work reasons; but as the first poster mentioned the RFA will repay these costs.

Ships and training bases can be a bit of a plague pit (just like school) and so the vaccinations are necessary as you and the other people will be travelling all over bringing back interesting variants. Every time you join ship, you will have to show you are in date for all your jabs for your entire appointment, if you cant there is a high chance you will be kicked off and sent home to sort it.

I would also suggest you get the annual flu jab (its just a good idea) as the last thing you want is to be knocked on your arse with it during your initial training and then have to play catch up.

CheeseNhamToast

Midshipman

By the way I'm starting in April as a Steward Apprentice, so I'll see you there.
Bloody Nora, free?! Which GP you at, I'm switching!
I currently reside in Bristol and I struggled to even get a list of my past vaccines, but I'm happy that there are people like yourself who are finding it easier :)

Great that you're there in April, I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!

Shipwrek

Midshipman
Bloody Nora, free?! Which GP you at, I'm switching!
I currently reside in Bristol and I struggled to even get a list of my past vaccines, but I'm happy that there are people like yourself who are finding it easier :)

Great that you're there in April, I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!
I live in the Wirral and I appear to be very lucky with my GP but at least you get your money back for your vaccines. I'm really looking forward to starting in April and to meeting everyone.

My GP practice in Torbay cant do occupational vaccines so going to Exeter Travel Clinic for them. We can claim it back anyway. Hopefully start April as Seaman Apprentice.

Latest Threads