Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blogging From The Battlefield. Its got sailors in it

Hello sailor. The shady powers at the ARRSE Book Review forum have suggested I post The Lovely Iron Dukes review of Blogging From The Battlefield by Major Paul Smyth here at Rum Ration. Not for the quality of the review which to be frank, is mincing cak. But because the book has sailors in it.

And all proceeds go to RBL. So you can do a good thing and get your hands on a cracking book.

ARRSE - Blogging the Battlefield by Major Paul Smyth

On a personal note, may I just say that when I read the book and realised Royal Navy were deployed on Herick 11 you shot up in my estimation? I have seen Fitzcarraldo so I can appreciate the difficulties involved in getting one of your big grey boats all the way up to Helmand. Well done.

...On a personal note, may I just say that when I read the book and realised Royal Navy were deployed on Herick 11 you shot up in my estimation? I have seen Fitzcarraldo so I can appreciate the difficulties involved in getting one of your big grey boats all the way up to Helmand. Well done.

Thank you but, contrary to popular belief, Royal Navy personnel have been deployed on ALL Herricks. Please take a look at this thread some time:

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Just read Iron Dukes book review.

If the book is as well written as his review, then it's a few quid well spent for a deserving cause, with the added bonus that next doors' cat will think twice about pissing on my rhubarb again, after I've read it.

=================================================

=================================================

Who could possible argue with those 4.5 Mushrooms, eh?

Wish Listed.

(BTW a (tamer) review at Amazon awards it Five Stars.)

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
.....with the added bonus that next doors' cat will think twice about pissing on my rhubarb again, after I've read it.

That's not a cat. It's me. Have you found that turd in with the marrows yet? I'd have flushed it into the sea but it would have been a danger to shipping.

Ageing_Gracefully

War Hero
Review Editor
Book Reviewer
Who could possible argue with those 4.5 Mushrooms, eh?

Wish Listed.

(BTW a (tamer) review at Amazon awards it Five Stars.)

Well, in a way TID did give it 5 stars but as he explained in his review comments:

Thanks Major - hope it helps shift some copies of a book I very much enjoyed. It would have got 5 Mushroomheads but I foolishly said I wouldnt award five after reviewing Andrew Salmons Scorched Earth, Black Snow.

He has dug himself into a small hole which he is rapidly extracting himself from having come to realise that there are more 5 star books than he had thought.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Blogging while in the Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
S Might do some of this blogging....might do! Blogs 0
soleil FB: "Commandos Master The Art Of Moving Through Arctic Battlefield" The Corps 1
MoD_RSS Extra £1.5 million available to eliminate chemical and biological munitions on the battlefield MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: £30m boost to fast-track battlefield apps MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Millions awarded to defence firms leading fight for modern battlefield MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Multi-million-pound competition to destroy battlefield chemical weapons launched by UK and US MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Notice of competition launch 'Don't Blow It! Safely eliminating munitions on the battlefield MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Latest battlefield forensics could save lives on the front line MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Pioneering treatment could save limbs on the battlefield MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Autonomy on the front line: supplying Armed Forces on the battlefield MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Battlefield cell-based therapy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Supporting injured troops on the battlefield MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Army conducts largest ever virtual battlefield simulation experiment MoD News 0
soleil BFBS: "From The Battlefield To The Classroom For Redundant Troops" Current Affairs 2
soleil Mail on Sunday: "Ten Of The Greatest Battlefield Tactics" History 3
soleil "Business is war, learn from the battlefield" says ex-Booty The Corps 6
M Battlefield 2 xbox 360 Gaming 7
S Help for Heroes Big Battlefield Bike Ride Charity 62
creddly LAMRI Is This You When You're Playing Battlefield 2 Online? The Gash Barge 2
Ships_Cat Battlefield 2142 Gaming 39
G I got TMU Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
N got my interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 41
G Who got September Intake dates? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
BUCK1939 Anyone got any photos from 1960's of the Ship's Company lining the deck when leaving port. The Fleet 2
MoD_RSS Do your tax return before it drives you quackers, you’ve got one week to go! MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Britain’s biggest road just got bigger MoD News 0
U Just got prov offer to start training at Raleigh in January RFA 10
K 21 Civvie to RN Air Crewman/Observer, going for NSRT - got a few concerns! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
janner Anyone got a few quid to spare? Submariners 4
N Got my entry date- any tips or advice? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
soleil Lockheed Martin: "How The F-35 Got Its Name" The Fleet Air Arm 0
D Got PRNC and Raleigh start date but got major problem. Joining the Royal Navy 13
McGrew Oh dear - Phil's got his medals wrong The Fleet 20
NateDogg Anyone else got PRNC 30th October? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
B Anyone joining got PRNC Date as 18th September and Basic Training 5th November? Joining the Royal Navy 5
Impact Anyone else got an RT test on 18/04? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
sj25105815 Ex Army, joining Navy age 36, going comms tech! Got questions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 201
AussieMedic Got my letter today! RFA 33
SuperNexus Got my Provisional Offer! RFA 10
JamieDonut87 Got my interview on Thursday... RFA 4
N Failed my RT but still got enough points for WE CIS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
R Complete Newbie here, I've got a question to ask, and asking for some tips for the RN interview. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
R Complete Newbie here, I've got a question to ask, and asking for some tips for the RN interview. The Quarterdeck 2
P How long after application to find out if got interview? RFA 5
drewfester Any one got Hive? Current Affairs 2
F I'Ve got a son Diamond Lil's 2
T Anyone got a sift interview on tuesday morning? RFA 21
S Went for officer got offered rating Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 31
burnleymitchy just got date for raleigh. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6