BLIAR

Welbexian_RN

Badgeman
When has any politician made a right decision for the country, and when has Blair ever made a right decision for the forces!

RoofRat

War Hero
If, according to Polls, This Government only got 24.5% of the popular vote overall. Where is the moral legality in them assuming power?
Sorry shouldn't get morals and politicians mixed up I know.
RoofRat

bunnyjumper

Lantern Swinger
FlagWagger said:
bunnyjumper said:
1. Yes it is a load of crap to vote for a person, you should vote for the Party and it's policies, not the person. I totally agree. But then, unfortunately everyone over the age of 16 is allowed to vote ...
Er - 18 actually, although there are some calls to extend it to younger people.

bunnyjumper said:
The point still is that blair was VOTED PM, on the policies he put forward. Don't forget that a different man at the top will want to push different policies.
Not quite - the policies of the Labour Party are contained in their manifesto - should Bliar be deposed, then the next leader whoever he may be, is still obliged to adopt the manifesto pledges - that's what they were elected on. However, in today's cult of personality, I agree that many people voted for Labour in order to secure Bliar as PM.

bunnyjumper said:
Should the Labour Party want to replace him, it should be the voters who decide, not the funny handshake brigade, just because they want their man to have a crack at f***ing the country up some more. Or don't we live in a democracy anymore!!!???
Yes we do (allegedly), however the only time the electorate get to choose a ruling party is at General Election time. If you want to influence who is PM you'll need to join whichever party is in Goverment and vote for your chosen candidate at a leadership election.

bunnyjumper said:
I'm not standing up for Blair - I'm standing up for democracy. You know that thing we're trying to force on the middle east.
Do as I say, not as I do - the current Western approach to geo-politic.
18 yes I stand corrected.

Policies - blimey, how long have you been in Canada. Even Blair hasn't stuck to the manifesto. What makes you think Brown or anyone else will?
By the way, I seem to recall their entire 1997 election campaign was centred around Tory sleeze, and how they were the honest option. Blairs government has seen more sleeze in the last couple of years than the tories saw in their entire time in power.

Last comment - totally agree!!

As to those comments regarding spoiling voting slips - It may register as a protest but at the end of the day unless every person spoils their slips, the most votes will win. Since when has this (or any government) taken notice of popular opinion anyway? I mean 2 jags was pelted with eggs and flour. Did he say "oh bless me, the people must have a problem with our policies. One must have a word with Tony." No. He threw his weight around, 'cos he's deputy PM and he knows better!!

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
bunnyjumper said:
Policies - blimey, how long have you been in Canada.
Not long enough :)

bunnyjumper said:
Even Blair hasn't stuck to the manifesto. What makes you think Brown or anyone else will?
The impression I'd got was that they had followed the main thrust of their manifesto, however it was written in such loose terms that they could do just about anything they wanted! So yes, in that case you're right - regime change will equal policy change.

bunnyjumper said:
By the way, I seem to recall their entire 1997 election campaign was centred around Tory sleeze, and how they were the honest option. Blairs government has seen more sleeze in the last couple of years than the tories saw in their entire time in power.
I know :( What's worse in my opinion is that they introduced the "Code of Conduct for Standards in Public Life" which has alienated many in lower levels of government, i.e. district, town and parish. This code of conduct is also being used to prevent people from representing the views of their neighbours (councillor has a prejudicial interest so can't speak on a subject!) yet MPs and Cabinet Ministers get away with murder by comparison.

andym

War Hero
Maybe the Electorate should demand a "Vote of No Confidence",it is our right,we did after all give these people their jobs to do our bidding!

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
andym said:
Maybe the Electorate should demand a "Vote of No Confidence",it is our right,we did after all give these people their jobs to do our bidding!
It should be, but I think that's where the system falls down - once we've elected these bloodsucking leeches with morals that make a Pompey scrubber look good, er sorry honourable people, then they are no longer accountable to the electorate until the next election.

bunnyjumper

Lantern Swinger
FlagWagger said:
bunnyjumper said:

bunnyjumper said:
Even Blair hasn't stuck to the manifesto. What makes you think Brown or anyone else will?
The impression I'd got was that they had followed the main thrust of their manifesto, however it was written in such loose terms that they could do just about anything they wanted! So yes, in that case you're right - regime change will equal policy change.

bunnyjumper said:
I know :( What's worse in my opinion is that they introduced the "Code of Conduct for Standards in Public Life" which has alienated many in lower levels of government, i.e. district, town and parish. This code of conduct is also being used to prevent people from representing the views of their neighbours (councillor has a prejudicial interest so can't speak on a subject!) yet MPs and Cabinet Ministers get away with murder by comparison.
Aha!! We are on the same wavelength after all.. :D

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
bunnyjumper said:
bunnyjumper said:
FlagWagger said:
See my answer to your question above :lol:

Part of the reason I'm out here was to escape the current regime before they start putting emigration controls in place, after all we can't have taxpayers leaving can we? (although, given the efectiveness of immigration controls :roll: I don't think there's any need for concern!).

The other main reason I'm over here is that my field of work was drying up in the UK as a result of the policy of successive governments of allowing UK industry to be sold overseas. If industry is so unimportant to the UK plc then why shouldn't I, as an engineer dependant upon industry, follow? After all, its not like I contribute much tot he UK is it - I was only a high rate tax-payer, a long-standing member of the RNR, a home-owner, council-tax payer, high mileage driver... not too much of a contribution then, at least not anymore! :D

FlagWagger said:
bunnyjumper said:

bunnyjumper said:

bunnyjumper said:
It would be nice if MPs could be investigated the same way that local councillors can be if they breach their own guidelines of conduct. Councillors can be suspended or barred from office. So why not MPs?

dt018a9667

War Hero
sgtpepperband said:
The idiom "I don't agree with what you're saying but I defend your right to say it" applies to all sides...

Yes but in modern Great Brittan that is not allowed, I think the word minorities only applies or is that just my cynical side showing, somehow I think not!

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
If you ain't happy, do something about it:

Complaints against MPs

There is no formal procedure for complaining if you are unsatisfied with the service you have received from your Member of Parliament. If you are not satisfied with the treatment you have received you have two courses of action available to you.

First you can take your complaint to the local party association. Although there may be no immediate sanction they can take, the choice of who is selected to represent the constituency in future elections rests with them. There should be a contact number and address in your local telephone directory. Alternatively, you can write to the party’s headquarters.

The Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards, established in 1995, does not deal with a Member of Parliament’s decision on how to handle a constituent’s case or a Member’s views or opinions. Their remit is mainly concerned with breaches of the Code of Conduct and the registration and declaration of financial interests and benefits.

(source: http://www.parliament.uk/documents/upload/m01.pdf#search="complain about your MP")

geoffg

Lantern Swinger
Why would anyone vote for Brown??
If he can publicly stuff Blair, what chance do we mortals have?

bunnyjumper

Lantern Swinger
FlagWagger said:
bunnyjumper said:
bunnyjumper said:
FlagWagger said:
See my answer to your question above :lol:

Part of the reason I'm out here was to escape the current regime before they start putting emigration controls in place, after all we can't have taxpayers leaving can we? (although, given the efectiveness of immigration controls :roll: I don't think there's any need for concern!).

The other main reason I'm over here is that my field of work was drying up in the UK as a result of the policy of successive governments of allowing UK industry to be sold overseas. If industry is so unimportant to the UK plc then why shouldn't I, as an engineer dependant upon industry, follow? After all, its not like I contribute much tot he UK is it - I was only a high rate tax-payer, a long-standing member of the RNR, a home-owner, council-tax payer, high mileage driver... not too much of a contribution then, at least not anymore! :D
You're definitely better of where you are mate. At least you can see the moose in their natural habitat instead of having to wait for a night down the Lights!! :lol:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SONAR-BENDER Diamond Lil's 4
trelawney126 Diamond Lil's 2
trelawney126 Current Affairs 44