Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by come_the_day, Sep 6, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just listened to Hilary Benn on R4 saying that we should trust TB to make the right decision for the country. In heaven's name, why?
  2. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    What else can you say? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  3. Politely ---- Round Objects!! - don't trust the blighter !
    The next one (Liebour) won't be any different either .....
  4. We can only sink so deep , hopefuly
  5. I'd rather trust harold shipman with the care of my granny!
  6. It doesn't matter who you vote for, the government still get in!
  7. Have you ever tried doing his job ???
  8. no but last time I looked I lived in a democracy, I used my vote for someone else so can complain about him all I want.
  9. Are you an apologist?

Practically everything that New Labour holds up as an achievement is based on a tissue of fabrication, whether committing British Service personnel to war in Iraq, spending £350,000,000 on consultants, politicising the Civil Service, the pensions debacle, windfall thefts from industry, the declining manufacturing base and rise in imports, NHS computers and targets, all infinitum, ad nauseam.

I don't expect TB to be any more or less efficient than any other PM, but he has lied to the British population too much!
  10. I could respect him more if he took at his salary a multiple of the lowest paid employee in the public sector. This would serve to remind the public just how low paid some public sector employees are, such as cleaners or security staff, often ex-Servicemen. His pension should also not exceed the pension of the lowest paid public sector employee. That measure applied to all politicians might have a salutary lesson when it come to providing adequate goods and services available to all. (Could the PM live off a public sector pension of £6500 before tax deductions?). Mind you, my Uncle had a private sector pension from his employer of £6 a week in 1991! How about trying to live off that! (Yes, that is SIX POUNDS A WEEK).

Hmmm. The future of pensions provision for most of us perhaps?
  11. Whoever we vote for they are going to be useless and have no idea about the armed forces!
  12. Sadly in this country, more people vote in X Factor than the General Election, it is either a sad indictment on democracy and the intelligence of the population. Or our lives are so comfortable, that really it doesn't matter what we vote for because all our basic needs (Mazlow) are now satisfied and we only bitch over the little things. Or we are so divorced from the ability to change things that we now believe it doesn't matter who we vote for thay are all lying, cheating, corrupt self servers only out to feather their own nests and those of their cronies (guess you can tell my view!!)

Shoot 'em all and let god sort 'em out!
  13. Guy Fawkes.

The only man to enter Parliament with honest intentions.
  14. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

I think its a reflection of several things:

- we have an established two party system that is essentially class based. There are some social elements in the country who will only ever vote for one of the parties based solely on their background rather than an obbjective assessment of policy.

- the parties cannot be trusted. When a party issues its manifesto it leaves out huge amounts of detail that can then return to bte the electorate. The manifesto can also be used to force through "bad legislation" that the man on the street can see if flawed, yet the politicians maintain is needed and wanted.

- the party political machine is too impersonal and its machinations at Westminster cannot be influenced by the man in the street.

- the system, in some quarters, is seen as being unfair (Barnett formula, Scottish & Welsh devolution, etc) with the majority of the electorate being controlled by a minority and not having a say;

- total disillusionment with the lack of accountability of Westminster and the deluge of spin coupled with the factors above mean many people say "why should I bother?". Personally, I'd just love to see a "None of the ABove" option on the ballot paper!

Likewise :)
  15. So come on then, please! Who do I vote for next time???? Nobody ever answers this question.
    This lot have destroyed, or almost destroyed my country, via europe, devalution , PC, disregard for parliamentary procedures etc.
    Cameron isn't lighting any fires for me either, he's becoming a "Tory Bliar", and won't get my vote.
    Who will speak up for the common man of these Islands?
    PS non of the above gets my vote at present! (If it were available)
  16. I'd like to non of the above as well, but have always been taught unlike men, my vote is very much a privileged, women died to get me it and millions of women still don't have it. Hence why I always make the effort to make an informed opinion on politics and always go out to vote
  17. Politics now is about targetted marketing on minority issues due to the apathy ingendered in the majority of the population..

It is the majority that feels disenfranchised now, so the parties only now target swing constituents ...and interest groups that will deliver the majority in Parliament.

This then leaves a window open for extremism on both sides of the spectrum....thats the scarey bit......i'm buying me a sailboat....stocking it up with Jack Daniels and Ivor Dewdney's and foxtrotting oscar...
  18. sounds like my kind of boat trip
  19. Excellent i need a 2 I.C.
  20. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

I have already TA88-ed to Canada, and are well stocked with essential supplies (Bombay Sapphire, Cadburys Dairy Milk, Schweppes tonic, Marmite, etc) but due to a slight cock-up on the logistic front we're now missing decent British cheese!