Blanco Encalada

Discussion in 'History' started by Stirling, Jul 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Fife in a former life, flight deck extended to carry 2 cabs.

=
    [​IMG]

-
    named after the bloke in my sig.

2. Cracking Photo Sterling :thumbleft:

3. Having taken the Seaslug space for the extended flightdeck, do you know what they use for AD? Janes had her down for VLS Barak but I can't imagine where the usable deck space was.

I notice that behind the former FIFE is a ship with what appears to be a Type 965 AK-1 aerial.

4. Well spotted; it looks like a single "bedstead" as opposed to the Fife's double.

5. Sterling, and any other ex-Fifers, Another one for your collection (unless you have it already 8O )

[​IMG]

6. Looks like a very good conversion

All that space in the Seaslug system up for grabs

7. POL...you are correct re AD.

' HMS Fife was sold to Chile on 12 August 1987 and renamed Blanco Encalada. She was taken into refit at Talcahuano upon her arrival, and, taking advantage of the removed Sea Slug, Blanco Encalada's deck was extended aft and a new, larger hangar constructed. The rebuild was completed in May 1988. In 1996 she was fitted with the Barak SAM by removing the Sea Cat launchers. Blanco Encalada was decommissioned from the Chilean Navy on 12 December 2003 and was sold for scrap in November 2005. '
    -

Bob....had not seen that one, cheers.

8. I would love to see phots like that of some of my old ship's in the future.

Unfortunately the closest I will come is this:
    [​IMG]

9. -
    In 1986 Fife underwent a refit to convert her into a moving training ship, her Sea Slug missile system being removed. This was completed in June 1986. This created space for extra messdecks and classrooms for officers under training (OUTs). One messdeck still used hammocks and these OUTs are possibly the last men in the Royal Navy to sleep in hammocks; they were told so at the time

10. Did she remain like that or did the Chilean refit reassign the spaces?

11. Dunno mate, as you probably know the SL mag stretched all along 2 deck up to the cross passage, maybe they used some of it to house the Barak missiles when installed as they are much bigger than the old Seacats.

In any case, almost 40 years service for the old gal. :thumbleft:

Edited to add......
    -
    The missile of Barak SAM system is designed to replace or complement gun-based CIWS platforms, such as the Phalanx CIWS, with a more flexible and longer-range SAM. The missiles are mounted in an eight cell container (which requires little maintenance) and are launched straight up. The radar system provides 360 degree coverage and the missiles can take down an incoming missile as close as 500 meters away from the ship. Each Barak system (missile container, radar, computers and installation) costs about $24 million