Blair objects to Forces Chiefs complaints about underfunding

come_the_day

Lantern Swinger
Re: Blair objects to Forces Chiefs complaints about underfun

[quote="Maxi_77It is interesting to see how much revisionism there is in history today, Yes the Dardanelles was Churchills idea, but the real cause of the failure was the way the plan was implemented. Churchill as a man of some honour fell on his sword for it, but there were many below him who deserved that much more than him.[/quote]

There is so much literature out there that gives objective testimony to the appalling waste of life in the Dardanelles and Gallipoli. Read Les Carlyon's Gallipoli - if you are not moved by the senselessness of that campaign you are made of stone - and it was Churchill's baby, and there was patently no plan. Even then Gallipoli was a tea party in comparison to the Western Front.

Re: Blair objects to Forces Chiefs complaints about underfun

come_the_day said:
[quote="Maxi_77It is interesting to see how much revisionism there is in history today, Yes the Dardanelles was Churchills idea, but the real cause of the failure was the way the plan was implemented. Churchill as a man of some honour fell on his sword for it, but there were many below him who deserved that much more than him.

There is so much literature out there that gives objective testimony to the appalling waste of life in the Dardanelles and Gallipoli. Read Les Carlyon's Gallipoli - if you are not moved by the senselessness of that campaign you are made of stone - and it was Churchill's baby, and there was patently no plan. Even then Gallipoli was a tea party in comparison to the Western Front.[/quote]

Whilst I must admit my main interest from the historical pointis the submarine operations, the only part of the campaign that could be deemed a success, I am well aware of the carnage ashore, but I would lay the main blaim for this on the gnerals in day to day charge of the campaign rather than the instiagtor. As I said above by far the major problem was the implementation, and that was done by the generals, who failed miserably in their task.