Blackwatergate

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Bergen, Oct 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Interesting article in the Washington Post with extensive US Army quotes confirming the findings of the Iraqi investigation into this incident.

LINK > http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/11/AR2007101101030_pf.html

There is another article being prepared by Newsweek that recounts that a US Army patrol was disarmed by Blackwater personnel and made to lie on the ground after their Humvee was in collision with a Blackwater vehicle earlier this year. This confirms other reports that the US Army and US Marines have made repeated complaints about the behaviour of Blackwater personnel in Baghdad.

RM

2. Without knowing all the details, I find it hard to believe that US Army personnel would surrender their weapons to civilian security personnel after a vehicle collision. If this is the case it is a disturbing indication of the quality of troops that are being sent to this theatre.

3. It's certainly bizarre:-

By Rod Nordland and Mark Hosenball

Newsweek

Oct. 15, 2007 issue - The colonel was furious. "Can you believe it? They actually drew their weapons on U.S. soldiers." He was describing a 2006 car accident, in which an SUV full of Blackwater operatives had crashed into a U.S. Army Humvee on a street in Baghdad's Green Zone. The colonel, who was involved in a follow-up investigation and spoke on the condition he not be named, said the Blackwater guards disarmed the U.S. Army soldiers and made them lie on the ground at gunpoint until they could disentangle the SUV. His account was confirmed by the head of another private security company. Asked to address this and other allegations in this story, Blackwater spokesperson Anne Tyrrell said, "This type of gossip has led to many soap operas in the press."

4. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

One of my Sgt's is married to an ex SF type who works for a global security 'firm' and is dodging bullets most weeks in Iraq. He's back at the moment and we were out at a social last night and he commented on this in his typically cryptic manner but did confirm that even his firm had 'encountered' blackwater and not had a good experience.

Makes you wonder doesn't it. Then again having met a few of the guys who've gone across there and Afghan they have to be bonkers, the money is great but the risks just ludicrously high. The sheer randomness would send me in the nut house in days.

5. Private Security=Mercenaries

I thought all along that allowing private contractors to hire so called security firms in a so called war zone rather odd to begin with, and it was only a matter of time, that these types of incidents would escalate.

I for one agree that the Iraqi Government be allowed to prosecute these "private" individuals, they shouldn't be provided the protection of the Military rules and regulations.

As for the US Marines being disarmed, they probably would have been justified in shooting these security guards and blaming it on the fog of war as they thought they were insurgents cause the reverse is absurd, these security guards clearly knew the others were US troops..scandalous... :rambo: