Black & White.

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by BillyNoMates, Sep 30, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. They did some banzai stuff back in the days before mobile phone cameras and Instagrams, in actual fact what is done (and uploaded) nowadays - has mostly already been done....albeit in a slightly different manner.
    Seen anything of interest? Well here's the place to post the stuff you stumble upon.

[​IMG]

The Althoff Circus organized a publicity stunt by putting a baby
    elephant on the floating train at Alter Markt station. As the
    elephant started to bump around during the ride, she was pushed
    out the wagon and she fell into the river Wupper. The elephant,
    two journalists, and one passenger received minor injuries.
    After this jump, the elephant got the name of Tuffi, meaning
    ‘waterdive’ in Italian.
    Both operator and circus director were fined after the incident.

[​IMG]

Boxer Gus Waldorf boxing against a bear. The bear won despite his handicaps.

[​IMG]

Josephene Myrtle Corbin, the Four-Legged Woman, was born in Lincoln County,
    Tennessee in 1868. Rather than having a parasitic twin, Myrtle’s extra legs
    resulted from an even rarer form of conjoined twinning known as dipygus,
    which gave her two complete bodies from the waist down. She had two small
    pelves side-by-side, and each of her smaller inner legs was paired with
    one of her outer legs. She could move the smaller legs but was unable to
    use them for walking. At the age of 19, she married a doctor named Clinton
    Bicknell and had four daughters and a son. It has been said that three of
    her children were born from one set of organs, two from the other.
    Myrtle died on May 6, 1928.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Cor blimey, gov'ner.... a right eye opener and make no mistake abaaht it. :fucyc:

• Like Like x 1
  3. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

4. Takes yer back does it granny ?

• Like Like x 3
  5. We may complain of life today, but I wouldn't want to have lived in those times......glad I had my smallpox jabs !

• Like Like x 1
  6. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Yes it does. As I look back over my life I realise that I have lived through some of the most amazing periods. My childhood, prior to, and during, WW2. The austerity of the late 1940's. The affluence of the 50's, and to us it was affluence after the deprivation of the War. So many wonderful memories. Ok, I'm an old sod who's reminiscences are the staff of life, I did see so many changes over the years. Now...where are my pills?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dog Watch sport at Horsea Island

divers.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I like 187, one eye dead ahead one to port, make a good lookout that one, 605 looks like an appeal for a Donkey sanctuary

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  9. I am in love with number 1122, even if she does look like Jim Carrey

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  10. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

11. Blackrat

I watch the first one (posted here) and then had to watch the rest. Not much has changed to be honest.

12. There's a lot of future traffic wardens being trained up in that clip!

13. I remember my first ever Army drill lesson and just thinking 'what the actual ****?' The stampy feet thing I could deal with but the ridiculous high pitched screaming at the end of every command did my head in. It was basically exactly the same as the video above.

Our RSM was Gren Guards (RSM of the HAC is generally one of the consolation prizes for a gren guards WO who doesn't end up getting his own GG battalion).

Also couldn't get my head around the bizarre substitution of perfectly good words for made up ones.

"Paid, shoulder HIPES!" The word Hipes was always screamed at the highest possible pitch and volume.

"Doff, dight, doff, dight, doff, dight" often followed by the RSM saying "Yack" at the end for no particular reason.

WTF?

Edited to add: Also what is the deal with the bearskin? They only wear them for a few minutes before swapping them for a cap. On gun salutes the RSM would bimble about in his cap while his official batman (a Gren Guardsman on the best doss of his career), followed him carrying the bearskin. For the important bits where he had to shout, he'd don the bear hat and then immediately **** it off again in favour of the cap. It wasn't just him, all the RSMs do this.

I doubt it's a comfort thing, the bearskin weighs very little, I had to wear one once while pretending to be in the corps of drums.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Blackrat

In reference to your post mucker, fuck knows about this word of command thing. As a Junior Leader, our CSM was Scots Guards (as was the RSM for that matter). To this day i haven't a clue what he shouted on the drill square.

"Squad will rrrrrrrretire. Aybot Taaaaaaaaaaaa!"
    "Saluting to the front, to tha fraaaaaaaaaaaaa Salooooooooooooo!"
    "Eyeeeeeeeees rye"
    "Squaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Haaaat!"

Brace up show the movement my arse.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Zoom....Arrrgghhhhh!

Recently discovered photograph of one of Pontius' ancestors attempting to fly across the English Channel, attached to the worlds very first vertical take-off, no-engine, solid oak person powered powered jump jet.

[​IMG]

(You can imagine how it turned out)