Black tot day

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by Physical, Apr 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Good on 'em!
  2. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Some interesting stuff, but the bit about Nelson's blood is inaccurate. His body was preserved in a cask of brandy (not rum) as it was the finest spirit held onboard.
  3. True story.

I was at whale Island when the Tot was stopped. My leave was due to start on Wed 29Th at 12noon, as I was to be married on sat 1st Aug.
    I altered my leave by request with a load of Bull Shite (Sorry Chief) so that I could get my last two tots.Then so I could be amongst the last to drink it (for bullshit purposes) I contrived to work over in the Chiefs mess as I was mess man, and went to miss musters at 1630. My leave started at 1700.
    Stopped tot and marriage all within a week, God I hated the early '70's. The only silver lining was the fact that in April 1970 they introduced the "Military Salary" whereby single and married men were given parity of pay. Trouble was single men were not getting it until April '71, so if you married in between your money doubled as an Able rate from £13.00 per week to £26.00 a fortune.
    And you did not pay board in them days, in fact when you went on leave you were paid LOA (Living Onshore Allowance).